Save Me from the Nothing I've Become

I hope you realise, my dear, that my black little heart is broken and i'm sitting at work contemplating the death of lots of people. oh don't worry, not me. just THEM. why is my heart broken, you may ask. and i may tell you "i didn't know you updated!!! no pm for me, nada, zip, zilch." i cried into my coffee. seriously.

j/k, i know this page is screwed up quite often. but if it was a case of your old age, then i'll understand that too :smiley:

“Those don’t sound like real friends Sydney.”
okay, that just felt like an abc after school special. really. like i had to reach far back in my memory for those... :smiley:

“Let’s go, chicken butt.”
“Okay, you did NOT just call me a chicken butt.”
guess what, chicken butt? know why, chicken thigh? know what's sick? ok, really, i think i'm regressing. not hypnotic regression, i can't afford that. this is more like daydreaming at my desk. close enough, and a heckuva lot cheaper. but this made me giggle. yes, me. what's the world coming to?

Mike gave me a strange look. “Seriously, I’m taking you home. Stay there. I know where you live so if you disappear I’m just going to drive to your house and wait for you.”
dude, seriously? love that!

non-qouty stuff i liked: francie will be a much better friend than those bi***es, seemed like she got over her judgemental stuff fairly quickly.
hope your felgercarb day got better and no one was killed without good reason :smiley:

hugs,
t

dammit. i had a nice long somewhat funny review chock-full of quotes, and i lost it! i hate computers. they have a life of their own, evil bastards.

suffice it to say, i liked francie, i liked vaughn, and i loved nadia. :smiley:

hugs,
t

I hope you realise, my dear, that my black little heart is broken and i'm sitting at work contemplating the death of lots of people. oh don't worry, not me. just THEM. why is my heart broken, you may ask. and i may tell you "i didn't know you updated!!! no pm for me, nada, zip, zilch." i cried into my coffee. seriously.

j/k, i know this page is screwed up quite often. but if it was a case of your old age, then i'll understand that too :smiley:

T - I SWEAR i tried to send PM's. i don't know why they are not working but other people had problems too.

then i sent you a pm later about my craptastic day.

i promise you'll get a PM next time... :smiley:

“Sometimes doing something is worse than doing nothing.” ~ Grey’s Anatomy.
i remember that quote i loved it
soz i just read this chap after i read the one that foloowed and this really stuck out

that was SO sweet!! i am really pleased that Syd is changing her image and making a frash start AND that she apears to have another friend in Francie if she needs it!
thanks for the PM
update soon :D

Chapter 9

I could hardly sit still in school Friday, anticipating my “ice cream date” with Mike on Saturday. My friends were still ignoring me but I knew they were whispering about the mysterious car I had gotten into the day before. I shuffled home from school when the day ended, half bummed not to have plans but half looking forward to relaxing with a movie. It had been a very long and emotional week.
Almost as soon as I walked in the door, my mother said she had an “important fundraising meeting” to go to and would I mind looking after Nadia. “Whatever, Mom.” I said and started to walk upstairs.
“Oh, and Sydney?” she said. I slowly turned, afraid of what she’d say. “Can you please watch Nadia tomorrow afternoon? Your father and I have an important errand to take care of.”
“What? NO! Mom. Hire a babysitter. I have plans tomorrow at three! Important ones!”
“Sydney, our babysitter couldn’t sit in the afternoon. She’s coming at night though.”
“That doesn’t matter! Mom!”
“I’m sorry sweetie. Then take your sister with you if you don’t want to stay home with her.” With that my mom walked out the door. “Great, just great. What am I going to do now?”
I stormed into my room and flopped onto the bed and groaned into my pillow.
“Syddie?” I heard a small voice ask.
“Go away Nadia. Go watch TV or something. Eat tons of cookies. Do whatever you want right now, just don’t set the house on fire or play with knives.”
“Okay!” I heard my sister skip down the stairs and go into the kitchen. She probably went right for the cookies.
I signed online and started to put up an away message when an IM popped up from HockeyMike. I smiled.
HockeyMike: Hey!
SneakySyd47: Hey there…no plans after school?
HockeyMike: I have to work in an hour so I’m just vegging. What about yourself?”
SneakySyd47: Haha…I don’t have friends anymore, remember?
HockeyMike: :( I’m your friend though. And I am excited about tomorrow.
I paused. “felgercarb,” I thought. “What am I going to tell him?
SneakySyd47: Ummm.. about that…
HockeyMike: ??? Don’t tell me you don’t want to go…
SneakySyd47: NO.. no, I do. My mom stuck me on Nadia watch though for the afternoon because your sister can’t sit until the evening and her and my dad have some “important errand.” So either I can’t go or I have to take her with me.
HockeyMike: So take her with us. My sister is always talking about what an adorable little girl she baby-sits for. And then…if you want…maybe you want to hang out at night, just us?
“OH MY GOD!” I shrieked to myself. “He did just ask me out… I think!!”
HockeyMike: Syd?
SneakySyd47: Yeah, sorry I am here. Sure that sounds great. :smiley: Sorry about Nadia though…but she likes ice cream so she’ll be happy.
HockeyMike: No big deal. It’ll be fun.
SneakySyd47: :smiley:
HockeyMike: Listen, I have to run and get ready for work. But I’ll see you tomorrow afternoon… with Nadia. :smiley: Bye, Syd.
SneakySyd47: C ya…
I saw Mike’s screen name sign offline and I sighed. “How is he so perfect?” I left my room and found Nadia lounging in front of the television with a bag of cookies in her lap. I went over and scooped her up and swung her around. I gave her a big kiss on her cheek. “I love you so much kiddo!”
Nadia giggled. “Syddie what are you doing? Put me down!” She managed to say through her giggles.
I threw her back on the couch and tickled her until she cried with laughter.
“So guess what? You are going to come with me and Mike to get ice cream tomorrow.”
“REALLY! YAY!” she screamed, loudly. “And ice cream two Saturday’s in a row is even better!”
“Yeah, yeah. But listen. You have to be on your best behavior. No comments about Mike and me, no comments about us liking each other, no embarrassing stories about me. Understand? Or I will never take you anywhere again.”
Nadia nodded solemnly. “I promise Syddie. Cross my heart.” She made an X over her heart.
I smiled. “Good.” I looked at my sister and smiled to myself at how well I had her trained. “Hey…how would you like some pizza for dinner?”
“Can we?”
“Yeah…who cares? Mom won’t. And if she does, well, whatever.”
“Okay!”
An hour later I called and ordered our pizza, hoping that the delivery guy would be one certain green-eyed guy I’d been dreaming about all day.

Michael’s POV
“Okay, who wants to take this run in the Van Ness area?” Joe called out, after boxing up a pizza.
Mike’s ears perked up. “I got it. Where’s it going?” he asked, silently hoping Sydney’s family decided to eat some pizza tonight.
“Address is on the receipt. Thanks Mike.”
Mike grabbed the box and headed out, glancing at the receipt. His heart leapt when he saw where he was going. Along the way he made a quick stop, knowing Sydney wouldn’t care if her pizza was a few minutes late and he was still trying to figure out how to make up for the fact that he made her cry the other day and for what he did with the kiss.

When the doorbell rang I made Nadia look out the window to tell me if it was Mike or not. When she flashed me the thumbs up, I pulled open the door.
“Mike!” I pretended to act surprised, like I hadn’t been hoping he’d show up if I called that pizza place.
A huge smile lit up his face. “You ordered a pizza?”
“Yep. Hang on, I have the money.” I reached over to the table and grabbed the money I left there, which included a very generous tip. I noticed Nadia was inching her way over to the door, trying to watch us. Mike saw her and smiled again.
“Hey Nadia,” he said and she blushed. “I hear you are coming to get ice cream with us tomorrow. That will be fun, right?” Nadia nodded and came up behind me, acting shy.
“Nadia, stop being rude. You’ve met Mike before.”
“Sorry…” she said in a small voice.
“Nah, Syd. She’s fine. Um…here is your pizza…you might want to check and make sure it is the right one…”
I gave him a strange look but opened the box. Inside was a single yellow rose. I was confused for a second and then smiled broadly. “I don’t think we can eat that!” Mike laughed and pulled a second box out of the pizza bag.
“Here is your real pizza. Hey Nadia… do you think you can carry this into your kitchen?”
Nadia nodded and took the box. “See you tomorrow, Mike,” she called over her shoulder as she walked away.
I stared into Mike’s eyes. “Thank you. That was really sweet.” I stood where I was. I wanted to kiss his cheek but after the other day, I kept my distance.
“My pleasure Sydney.” Mike stepped forward and gave me a kiss on the cheek this time. I felt my cheeks grow pink and smiled again. “I’ll see you tomorrow, enjoy your pizza.” He turned and walked away. I barely shut the door before I turned into jelly and slid down on the floor.
“He is so cute…” I said, sitting against the door.
Nadia came back into the living room. “Why are you on the floor? Get up. I want my pizza!”
Sighing I pulled myself up and walked into the kitchen. I gave Nadia some pizza and took a slice for myself. When we were finished I grabbed the other box and opened it again. I took out the rose and saw there was a small note, written on a napkin. I grinned, thinking how cute he was for using a napkin.
Life has a funny way of crossing paths. I’m glad I crossed yours,” the napkin read. I smiled and felt like I was floating on a cloud.

Mike’s POV
All Mike could think about as he worked the rest of his shift was Sydney’s smile. He’d seen it so infrequently that it was like a rare treasure. And tonight he’d managed to make her smile a few times. She had a beautiful smile with these adorable dimples. He couldn’t wait until Saturday, even if they were bringing Nadia with them in the afternoon. He was glad he worked up the courage to ask Sydney to do something at night as well.

“Nadia, are you almost ready?” I called, glancing at my watch.
“I’m right here Syddie.” Nadia came bouncing down the stairs, her hair neatly brushed for once.
“Good. Remember what I said…”
“I know. Be good. No embarrassing stuff.”
“That’s my girl.” I heard a knock on the door.
“I’ll get it!” Nadia screeched and ran over to the door. She pulled it open and Mike was standing there smiling widely with his hands behind his back. “Hi Mike!” Nadia said brightly.
“Hi cutie. Hey Syd,” he said, glancing over my sister. I smiled. “Hey Nadia, pick a hand.”
“What?” Nadia looked at him curiously. Mike nodded. “Okay. Ummmm left!” Mike brought his hand out from behind his back to reveal a pink rose. “For me?!?!” Nadia squealed. Mike nodded again. Nadia turned around to face me. “SYDDIE!! Look!”
“Very pretty Nadia.” I glanced over her head and smiled. “Say thank you…” I said, still staring at Mike, “Can he get ANY more perfect?
“Thanks Mike!”
“You’re welcome. Syd…other hand is yours.”
The look on my face changed to one of surprise. Mike then pulled his other hand out from behind his back. A peach colored rose was in that hand. I felt my smile grow.
“That makes two in two days, Vaughn.” I watched his cheeks grow red. “Thank you though.” I took the flower, and Nadia’s and put them in the vase that held the yellow one from yesterday. Then we headed out and got into Mike’s car.
“Okay, Nadia, buckle your seatbelt,” I said, glancing into the backseat.
“So I hear you like ice cream a lot,” Mike said, trying to engage my sister in conversation. “What is your favorite flavor?”
“Candyland. It’s so yummy.” Nadia grinned wickedly.
“Yeah, and then she bounces off the walls for hours. Lucky for your sister!” I laughed, remembering that Jamie was babysitting tonight.
“Oh, then let’s give Nadia an extra big serving so Jamie is tormented later.” We both laughed. Nadia joined in even though I was pretty sure she didn’t understand.
We got to Cold Stone, got our ice cream and had a great afternoon. Mike was so nice to my sister that I fell a little bit more as each minute went by. All of my guy friends had always treated my sister like a little bug who wasn’t wanted. Nadia was thrilled to get so much attention from one of my friends and was being her outgoing, normal self instead of hiding and being quiet when any of my other friends were around.
Mike took us home and said he’d get me when he dropped his sister off in a few hours.
My parents were actually home when we arrived, getting ready for their night out.
“Did you two have a good afternoon?” my dad asked as we walked in the door.
“YES!” Nadia shrieked. “Syddie’s friend is soooo nice. And he brought us roses! Look!” She pointed to a vase by the door.
“Well isn’t that sweet,” my mom said, walking into the room. “Mike seems like a very nice boy, Syd.”
“How did you know we were with Mike?” I asked, suspiciously.
“A mother knows things, Sydney,” my mom said.
I stared at her incredulously. My mother thinks she knows me? Right! I had to turn away to keep from laughing in her face.
“Anyway, girls. We are leaving soon. Nadia’s babysitter will be here by 6:30. I trust that is okay, Syd?”
“Yeah, fine. See you.” I walked upstairs as Nadia continued to talk to my parents. I had more important things to do, like picking out the perfect outfit to see Mike in later.

Mike’s POV
“I can’t believe you have been hanging around HER,” Jamie spat out as Mike drove her to the Bristow’s. “She’s such a slut.”
“No she isn’t Jamie. Sydney is a very nice girl.”
“Since when did you get into pot heads?”
“Jamie, she is young and confused and she is trying to change. Why don’t you stop judging her and be her friend.”
Mike saw his sister turn to stare at him out of the corner of his eye. Her mouth was wide open.
“Oh, my, GOD. You really LIKE her!” Jamie squealed. “I was wondering why you’ve been in a better mood for the past week. You are so into Sydney Bristow.”
“Whatever Jamie. She is my friend and I am helping her out. Just drop it or you can walk the rest of the way to the Bristow’s house.”
Jamie sat back with a smirk on her face for the rest of the ride. She knew her brother had it bad for Sydney. Yet she couldn’t decide how she felt about that.

TBC

OH that was great... Awesome mini date!!! And I think Jamie might be having a little talk with Syd one of the days!! :smiley: Awesome update, can't wait for the next chapter

Great update once again. Hopefully Jamie doesn't do anything to jeopardise Syd and Vaughn's relationship, sounds like she doesn't like Syd much. Love Nadia tho.. she's so sweet.

Thanks for the PM

Aww Vaughn is too perfect!! :love:
-I love how he is so good with Nadia!!!
Hopefully Jamie will come around!!
-Loved it! Thanks for the pm!!

Mmm....this is so good. :smiley:
The whole aspect of how real this could actually be is so alluring.
I love it.

I have to say though, I'm really concerned about this thing between Sydney and Michael.
I mean, to me, they seem to be thinking about this in two different directions...

Direction 1 -
I barely shut the door before I turned into jelly and slid down on the floor.
“He is so cute…” I said, sitting against the door.

Sydney's 13, right?
So, I'm thinking her feelings for Michael are just...
Teenage girl love-crush thing. Infatuation.
She's never been treated the way he's treating her...and I think she's falling in love with that.

Direction 2-
All Mike could think about as he worked the rest of his shift was Sydney’s smile. He’d seen it so infrequently that it was like a rare treasure. And tonight he’d managed to make her smile a few times. She had a beautiful smile with these adorable dimples. He couldn’t wait until Saturday, even if they were bringing Nadia with them in the afternoon. He was glad he worked up the courage to ask Sydney to do something at night as well.

Michael's older, mature-er, has a little bit more sense of what he wants in life.
He's helping her, even though I highly doubt she's just his charity case, and at the same time, as Jamie said 'falling hard'.
I'm not so sure that's such a good thing...

*sigh*

It will definately make for an interesting plot.
I can't wait for more.
Thanks for the PMs!

:angelnot: Ash

P.S.
hahah uh oh.. are your friends going to hate me now for giving you a bigger ego??

...Well, it was already pretty big to begin with...so.... lol (jk) :P

Mmm....this is so good. :smiley:
The whole aspect of how real this could actually be is so alluring.
I love it.

I have to say though, I'm really concerned about this thing between Sydney and Michael.
I mean, to me, they seem to be thinking about this in two different directions...

Direction 1 -
Sydney's 13, right?
So, I'm thinking her feelings for Michael are just...
Teenage girl love-crush thing. Infatuation.
She's never been treated the way he's treating her...and I think she's falling in love with that.

Direction 2-
Michael's older, mature-er, has a little bit more sense of what he wants in life.
He's helping her, even though I highly doubt she's just his charity case, and at the same time, as Jamie said 'falling hard'.
I'm not so sure that's such a good thing...

*sigh*

It will definately make for an interesting plot.
I can't wait for more.
Thanks for the PMs!

Well, yes, there is a 3 year difference between them... and i know a situation like this would probably never occur in real life b/c a 3 year difference b/w a 13 and 16 year old is a much bigger deal than a 3 year difference between a 26 and 29 year old. but i guess, in my mind, Sydney is a lot more mature than other 8th graders (and she's almost 14 in my story) b/c she was sort of in an environment her whole life where she had to be older. and her friends siblings were all older and she used to hangout with high school kids. and she's always been sort of like a second mom to her sister... so... yeah.

but don't be concerned Ashley... sydney has a lot of thinking and realization of things left in the story even though i don't have *that* much more to post...

Back