~Shadow of Deception~

I predict Vaughn is going to feel real bad about lying to Syd, when she finds out the truth about his mother. However, I'm sure she'll forgive him. Especially, when she finds out that his father also had died when he was a child.

Thanks for the PM and the fantastic update.

Chris

~Carrot-Top Revealed~
~Part 4~

After hours of senseless talking the pilot comes back on as he did hours ago and says that we'll be landing, which means i have to go back to my seat. I don't want to, because it means leaving her presence, but he flight attendant is pretty much forcing me. I slip by her and walk back to my seat, i can tell she's a bit disappointed also, especially when her own seat buddy comes back. She's now the one holding her shirt over her nose as the guy that had been sick in the bathroom for more than five hours is now practically breathing down her neck. I try not to laugh as i fasten my seatbelt and lean back into my seat. Carrot-top once again interupts my thoughts.

"You like her don't you?" He asks. I'm surprised, because for the first time he's actually talking like normal people do. But even the way he talks doesn't make me tear my eyes from her. I don't answer his question, mostly because i don't want to admit that i actually do...like the girl.

"She likes you too." He says. This finally gets my attention and i look at him. He motioned to her.

"When you got up to go to the bathroom, she stared at your a** the whole time." He says. I blush slightly and smile.

"Just when i thought you were starting to act normal." I say jokingly. He looks a bit offended.

"What! I'm normal." He says in defense. I laugh.

"You're hair certianly isn't." I say pointing to his orange messy hair. He shrugs.

"Got up late this morning, no time to groom." He said licking his hand then flattening his hair.

"Oh lord." I say as the plane hits the runway. The plane door opens and people start to pile out. I get up and take my bag with me quickly, trying to get to her before she leaves. She starts to take her bag out of the overhead and i step next to her, dropping my bag on the seat and reach up and grab it.

"Here...i got it." I say lifting it down. I know full well she could have gotten it herself, because i can tell she's very athletic, her body is sculped perfectly and she just looks like strong woman. She smiles non the less.

"Thanks." She says. I smile and grab my bag.

"Vaughn, i can carry it." She says reaching for it. I shake my head.

"Nope, i got it." I say.

"But..."

"Come on guys! Stop flirting and walk!" Carrot-top says as he holds his heavy carry on in his right hand. I look at Sydney and she blushes slightly. I smile and hide my own embarassment.

"You heard Carrot-top." I say to her.

"I heard that!" He says behind me. She laughs as we walk off the plane and we get to the gate. I know this is where we go seperate ways. I set her bag down on the floor and we stand in front of eachother.

"Well, it was nice meeting you, Michael. I think that's the best flight i've ever had." She says with a smile. I smile back, but still i don't want to leave her. I nod.

"It was nice meeting you too, Sydney." I say. A comfortable silence falls between us.

"Well, bye." She says. She's the first to turn around, she walks off towards the exit.

"Syd!" I yell. She stops and whips around quickly. I walk over to her as i take out a pen. I take her left hand and begin to write into her palm and she looks up at me with a goofy smile.

"What's this?" She asks looking at it after i'm done.

"Just incase you ever want some hockey lessons back in LA. Give me a call." I say. She stares at me for a moment, she's glowing, and i know she must get tons of numbers every day. She takes the pen from me and picks up my left hand and writes her own phone number on it.

"In case you ever need some help in Lit." She says. I smile.

"Make sure not to wash your hands before you wirte that on paper." She says handing my pen back to me. I take the pen and re-write the number on my right hand as well. She laughs.

"Just to be safe." I say, i stick the pen back in my pocket.

"See ya." She says, she walks away again, giving me a final wave before waling through the door.

"Yeah, see ya." I say once she's gone. I smile to myself, that was the best flight i've ever....

"Hey, let's go, we're going to be late." Carrot-top says as he drags me to the exit.

"What do you mean 'we'?" I ask him as we walk outside into the cold.

"Well, i'm responsible for you, so if we're late then it's my a**." He says to me. He pulls me to a black sedan with government license plates on it.

"Wait a minute..." I say stopping at the back door of the car. He turns to me.

"I've never watched hockey in my life." He says. My mouth drops.

"Wait...you're...you're one of them?" I ask.

"What do you mean 'One of them'. I am human if that's what you're refering too." He says to me.

"And yes, i am working for who you think i'm workling for, so shut up, get in, and hold on, because we have 19 minutes to get you to your destination." He says getting in. I throw my bag in the backseat.

"I can't believe this." I say. If this was all an act, that man just won an oscar. I could tell that this spy thing may be harder than it seems, especially when it comes to picking out your enemies out of a crowd. Rule number one: Trust NO ONE! Not even beautiful women. Well, maybe just one...

I think Vaughn just learned a couple of valuable lessons. One, you can't judge someone by your first impresssion. Two, he just met his first agent and he got a small sampling of just what the job can entail; i.e., lies, and deception. Three, this job may be a lot harder than he originally thought.

I loved the update! Thanks for the PM.

Chris

this is an awsome story
i wonder if syd is going to be a recruit as well
it's so cute
please add me to the pm list
update soon

wow you updated very quick! that was another awesome chapter! i knew 'carrot-top' had a bigger part in this than just some crazy fan. thanks for the PM.

~Hot Coffee and Second Meetings~
~Part 5~

I sit in the backseat of the black lincoln as Carrot-top drives like an a** just to get me to Langley. I sit silent, not knowing exactly what to say after being so dumb as to not know he was actually an Agent.

"What, cat suddenly got your tounge?" He asks as he looks at me through the rear veiw mirror, i knew he probably thought i was an idiot right now, just another college guy thats only mission is to find beautiful women anywhere and everywhere.

"No." I say simply, um...nice choice of vocabulary Vaughn, you're a senior at UCLA and all you can say is 'no'? Dumba**.

"You're thinking about her aren't you?" He asks me. I look up and meet his eyes in the rearview mirror.

"Actually for the record, i'm not at the moment, ask me again in about 15 seconds." I say. He laughs slightly as he pulls around a corner. And what does mr. carrot-top do? Wait 15 seconds!

"Are you thiking about her now?" He asks. I smile.

"Maybe." I say looking my hands, numbers written on the both of them. He smiles as we pull up to the security booths at the entrance of headquarters. Carrot-top rolls down his window.

"Dropping off another recruit, Michael Vaughn." He says. The guard checks the list and looks back at Vaughn.

"I need his drivers license." He says. Carrot-top turns back to me and nods. I sigh and take out my drivers licenese and hand it out to the window to the guard.

"Go ahead." He says stepping away from the car. I watch as we drive past him.

"Wait, he's got my...."

"Simmer down brother, they keep it until you come back out, they do that with everyone that doesn't have a regular CIA ID card." He says as he parks the car. He gets out and i do the same, leaving my bag in the car.

"So what am i actually going to be doing?" I ask him. He puts his hands in his pocket as we walk toward the building.

"A test, kinda like SAT style, and a physc test. Nothing major, don't worry." He says to me.

"You've done it before?" I ask him, curious as to what his position in the CIA is.

"Yep, passed all of it, i'm a field agent, and i must say i had you going pretty good didn't i?" He asks looking at me. I roll my eyes.

"Can we not tell anyone about that? Please?" I ask. He smiles and laughs.

"Sure thing bro." He says. We walk through the door at Langley and inside the huge foyer. We walk over the CIA emblem that's on the floor and i can't help but think it's totally cool to be here. I follow him up to the front desk and he talks to the secretary, checking me in or something. The wall to my right catches my attention, two flags hang on either side and a glass box in front of it. I walk over to it slowly and stop in front of it. Scanning over the book that's inclosed in the case. My eyes fall onto a star that's marked next to the year '76. I know my father wasn't an agent, but still, something inside me turns when i see it. Carrot-top comes to stand next to me.

"Sad isn't it? No one even gets to know their names. They're anonymous to everyone outside of the Agency, and most of the people inside as well." He says. I step back from it and look at him.

"You don't know who died in '76 do you?" I ask him. He shakes his head.

"I haven't been here that long to know, but there's a guy i know that may have an idea. He's a good friend of mine, you'll pobably meet him later." He says.

"Come on." He tells me. We walk through the metal detectors and down a long white hallway. We get to a large door and he opens it.

"Have fun." He says as i look inside at the mass of people.

"Holy...."

"Name?" The man at the other side of the door asks. I'm pulled inside.

"Vaughn. Michael Vaughn." I say, he looks through a pile of ID's and gives me one.

"Don't take this off." He says. I put it around my neck and the badge hangs at my chest. I look up, most of the people in the room are talking to eachother, and me, well i'm just standing in my own little corner, not knowing exactly what in the hell to do. Someone comes to stand next to me, holding a dounut in his hand.

"Hey man, why you standin' over here by yourself?" He asks. He's a bigger guy, black hair and dark eyes. I look at him with a raised eyebrow when he takes a bite of his dounut, a bit of the powder on the corner of his mouth.

"Sorry, i'm Weiss. Eric's my first name, but no one calls me Eric except for my deaf grandma." He says. I'm amused by him.

"Michael, you can call me Vaughn." I say shaking his clean hand. He obviously sees the number on my hand because he turns it over.

"Well, well, picking up girls already are we?" He asks. We both didn't notice that i room had fallen silent and that one of the directors was speaking. Everyone looked at us, some amused, some not so amused.

"As i was saying. At your desk is a copy of the test you will be taking, you can't pass or fail, it's only to determine our placement as a possible agent. After the written test you will be given a physc test. That's all for now, so if you'd please sit down we will begin." The man said. Everyone scrammbled around.

"Goodluck man." Weiss says to me as he throws the rest of his dounut out.

"You too." I say. I walk to my seat and sit down, of course i'm in the front row, i'm always in the front row.

"You have 2 hours to complete the test.....begin." A voice over the intercom says. Everyone flips open the front page and the scriblling begins. The man sitting to my right is sweating rather perfusley, and the man to my left keeps looking over at my answers. I want to punch him but i figured it would grab too much attention. Out of the corner of my eye i see one of the agents walking toward me, i don't know if he's looking at me or if he's looking at chearter boy. But i find out when he rips up the guys test.

"You've been caught cheating, you're out." He says. My heart rate drops considerablly and i get back to taking this boring test that's required, i think SAT's were more fun than this. I'm within the first 20 to finish and so i sit there watching the rest of the people take the test. A few others are caught cheating and i laugh inside, there was no score you had to get, it was just a test, yet people are trying to cheat when there really are no wrong answers. Everyone finishes before the time is up and the tests are collected quickly.

"Alright, you're to stay in here until you are called for you individual physc test. It will be alpahabetical." The man says. Everyone gets up and starts to talk once again, scrammbling for coffee and dounuts. I pick up at cup and start to fill the it with freshly brewed coffee when a voice startles me.

"Not going to see your mother i see." Her voice says. I'm startled to hear it and the coffee that was in my cup is now on the front of my white buttoned down shirt.

"Sh**." I say under my breath as it burns my skin. She comes to stand next to me and she grabs a few napkins.

"Here." She says dabbing at my ruined shirt. I sigh and look up at her, unable to believe she's actually standing in front of me.

"I can't believe this is happeneing." I say. She smiles and looks up at me.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you." She says. I think she finally realizes what she's doing and she pulls her hand away from my stomach, she throws the napkins on the table.

"No, i meant, i can't believe you're here. I mean, CIA?" I ask. She nods.

"I know, i can't believe you're here." She says. She then crosses her arms and gives me a fake mad look.

"But it wasn't nice to lie and tell me your mom was dying." She says. I can't help but smile, because she looks so cute.

"Hey, that's what they told me to say." I tell her. I hold my hands up in mock surrender. She smiles.

"It's okay, i won't kick your a** this time, just don't let it happen again." She says. I laugh.

"Noted." I say. I still feel bad for bringing it up on the plane, because i know i touched a nerve, but it seems as though she's forgot about it.

"Sydney Bristow." Her name is called from across the room and she turns to look over at the doors. She turns back to me and smiles.

"I'll see ya." She says. I nod as she walks by, her hand gently brushing mine. I don't know if it was a mistake or if she did it on purpose. But which ever it was i have a feeling that wasn't going to be the last time it happened.

Back