~Shadow of Deception~

I knew Sydney was going to sneak up on him sometime. :D And she had perfect timing too, just when he had hot coffee in his hand. I think Vaughn's going to want to be an agent even more, now that Syd is trying to join up.

Thanks for the PM.

Chris

DANG!!!!..this is like...DANG!!...i can't wait for somemore S/V action...so good...so so so good...great job (y)

-thanx for the PM :smiley:

Lets get this party started,.... syd and vaughn are at the farm together
they are so cute
and weiss, love him
thanx 4 the pm
update soon

~Pushed To Far~
~Part 6~

These are the times i absolutely hate having a last name that starts with one of the last letters of the alphabet. There are only five other men in the room with me now, and they're all way to stiff, which is making me uncomfortable. They stand near the door, none of them talking, their hands clasped in front of them. One looks as though he's about to fall asleep as he stands there, but he immiediatly stands upright when the door opens. An agent peaks in and reads a name from a clipboard.

"Michael Vaughn." He says. He looks at each of the men, and when none of them move his eyes wander to me, in the corner, sitting next to the buffet table with a cup of coffee still in my hand. Standing up i clear my throat and walk slowly toward the door. All eyes are on me and frankly i just want to slap each and every one of the idiots.

"You're Vaughn?" The agent asks.

"For today." I say jokingly. The agent doesn't smile but i can tell he's thinking something about me, wheater he's judging me or thinks i'm an idiot, he's definatly thinking something.

"Follow me, please." He says. He lowers his clip board to his side and i follow him down the hallway to a black door. He opens it and steps out of the way so i can enter. I know what i have to do next and i'm a bit nervous, having to answer questions that can determine if i'm physco isn't really my idea of how to spend a saturday, but hey, it's the CIA.

There's a woman that sits behind a desk writting as i walk further in.

"Sit down." She says. I take a seat in the uncomfortable plastic chair as she finally finishs off her sentence and puts her pen down. Taking off her glasses she looks up at me and folds her hands in front of her on the surface of the desk.

"I'm going to ask you a series of questions. You are to answer them truthfully and to the best of your ability. Understood?" She asks.

I nod at her.

"Yes ma'am." I say. She gives me a small smile before picking up her glasses and putting them back on.

"Have you ever had the urge to kill someone?" Her question is harsh and she doesn't waste anytime.

"No." I tell her. Although i may dislike some people enough to beat the felgercarb out of them, i'd never kill someone.

"Have you ever been cruel to animals?"

"Yes." I say. She looks up at me curious.

"Please elaborate." She says.

"In winter, i used to have my dog pull me around in a sled when i was five." I say. A small smile takes over her face as she jumps into the next question with no hesitation.

"Would you ever sleep with a woman to gain intelligence for the agency and the safety of this country?" She asks.

"Yes." I say. It's the truth, i would, and that's where my mind goes back to thinking about Sydney. And i thought i got rid of her for a second.

"If you had to kill your mother, your father, or yourself, who would you kill?"

"Myself." I say without any hesitation. I would never even think about doing that to my parents, it makes me sick to think about it.

The questions go on for a good forty-five minutes before she finally dismisses me. I walk out of the room, my jacket drapped over my arm as the same agent that brought me into the questioning, takes me to the cafeteria. All the various people that were with me while taking the entry test, are now sitting at table eating lunch. I look around and finally spot Sydney and Weiss sitting next to an asian woman that i have yet to meet. Walking through the rows of tables i finally get to theirs and stand at the end.

"Got room for one more?" I ask with a smile. All three of them look up at me. Sydney's the first to smile.

"Of course there is, we saved you a spot." She says motioning to the spot next to Eric and across from her. I smile and take a seat. There's a silence before Eric speaks up.

"Oh, Mike, this is Akiko, Akiko this is Mike Vaughn." Eric says before taking another bite out of his burger. I smile at the woman sitting next to Sydney.

"It's nice to meet you." I say politley, my mother would be so proud. She returns my smile.

"You too." She says. I breifly look back at Sydney to see her staring at me, but she quickly averts her eyes once i look at her. I can't help but wonder why she does this. Is she just embarassed? Or is it something else? Moving my leg slightly under the table i brush it against hers lightly, it gets her to look up at me and both of us just stare into eachothers eyes. I can tell she's looking for something, but then again so am i. I'm too infatuated with her that i don't hear Eric calling my name until Sydney looks at him. Tearing my eyes from her i look at him.

"What?" I ask. He looks at Sydney and then at me again.

"I asked how your questioning went." He says.

"It was fine." I tell him. It was boring as hell, but fine. The table falls silent again, but not fot too long. This time Akiko starts up a conversation.

"So, Vaughn, that's a French name right?" She asks. I smile and nod.

"Yeah, my dad was French, my mother is American." I tell her. I think the fact that i mentioned my father in a past tense way gets Sydney's attention, because she's looking at me again.

"Really? So you were born in France?" Akiko asks. I nod.

"Yeah, i was born in a town called Fleury, population 300." I tell her. I can tell she finds it interesting, cause she leans on the table and i can just see questions formulating in her eyes.

"So why did you move to the US? Why not just stay in France?" She asked. That's a question i never really wanted to answer.

"Uh....just...personal reasons." I tell her. She immeditaly backs off.

"Oh, i'm sorry, i hope i didn't affend you in anyway. Sometimes i can be too pushy." She says to me as her smile fades. I wave her off.

"Seriously, you're not pushy, i just don't like talking about my childhood." I tell her. She nods and takes a sip of her water.

"I understand." She says. The topic is dropped just like that. I look to Sydney again and see a certain sadness in her eyes. I don't know what's triggering it, but she just stares at me, not blinking, i see tears at the corners of her eyes.

"I'm going to get something to drink. You guys want anything?" She asks. She looks at Eric and Akiko but not at me. They shake their heads no and she smiles slightly as she gets up. I watch her walk into the growing line of hungry people and i can't help but feel bad, i'm not sure if something i said caused her change of mood. I stand up without saying anything to Akiko or Eric and walk up to the line. Cutting in front of a few people i come to stand behind her. I watch her for a moment as she just stands there.

"If it was something i said...i'm sorry." I say in a whisper over her shoulder. She doesn't turn around but she shakes her head.

"It wasn't. I mean, it was, but it wasn't....ya know?" She asks as she moves forward.

"Then why were you crying?" I ask making a risky move. She looks down at the floor in front of her. The line moves and she quickly buys a Pepsi. I follow her out of line and she stops off to the side and turns to me.

"I wasn't." She says. I know she's lying.

"Don't pre...."

"Why are you so persistant? I told you i wasn't, just believe me." She says. I see more sadness pass across her face, but it's gone within seconds. A fool would easily miss it. I instantly realizied i was being an a** for pushing her. I nod softly and look down at my feet. She stands there for a few more seconds as she stares at me. She turns to walk away, but leaves me with one thing.

"It's not you, and i hope it never will be."

Another outstanding story by the brilliant Spy41 ;) (y)
You changed your avi you meanie :angry: :P lol
Please add me to your PM list, this looks like it's gonna be a good one. Love carrot top by the way. ^_^

"Yeah, my dad was French, my mother is American." I tell her. I think the fact that i mentioned my father in a past tense way gets Sydney's attention, because she's looking at me again.

I'm wondering if Sydney is thinking of the mother that she lost, not realizing that Vaughn's father is dead too. Or, could it be that the Sydney in this story really knows the truth about her mother and what she did?

Hope we'll get to know why Sydney is so upset.

Thanks for the PM and another wonderful chapter.

Chris

Back