So this is my life

Chapter 4

He taught me to love and play hockey. At times I joined in on their guys’ hockey night and to be honest I’m not sure if he spent more time looking at the game or me. I just know I loved to tease him about it.

“You still played hockey after he left?” the woman asked curiously.

“No. But I occasionally watch the games on TV,” Sydney said with a smile.

“Why give up if you love it?” the woman continued.

“Practise wasn’t my thing and for fun I had no one to play with. Andrew is more into basketball so as far as sports are concerned we don’t understand each other,” Sydney explained.

“So I assume you are not a basketball fan,” the woman replied half joking.

“Correct you are,” Sydney said and smiled.

Sydney and Vaughn were driving around in his car without a destination in sight. It was already dark outside and for the past half an hour not a word had been exchanged between them. They had spent the evening watching hockey with Josh, Andy and Christopher after witch she just didn’t feel like going home. So now here they were. Driving. He behind the wheel and she simply sitting next to him looking out the passenger side window with this emptiness in her eyes staring at passing by cars, streetlights, people. There was no emotion in her presences and she seemed numb. The radio was on but most likely neither of them paid any attention to it. Yet it was better than sitting in complete silence. He tried to figure out what might be wrong but came up with nothing. He attempted talking to her but she just ignored him like he wasn’t even there. Vaughn sighed feeling hurt by her choice of action but decided to leave her alone. He didn’t enjoy being left out but believed she’d come around if given space. Then Iris by GooGooDolls came on the radio. The acoustic version he knew she loved. He noticed Sydney’s head stir just slightly and a content smile appeared on her lips. She closed her eyes feeling the tune. After the song was over she turned her chocolate brown eyes in his direction and just sat there studying Vaughn’s every move until he became uncomfortable. So she innocently shrugged her shoulders and focused on the road in front of her instead.

“How can you keep your eyes fixed on me and still see the game?” Sydney asked randomly.

“What?” he replied with a question surprised by yet another change in her mood. Now she looked almost like herself again.

“Well I spent the last few minutes studying your every move and honestly I don’t know what was happening around me,” she explained in a serious tone.

“Is it necessarily a bad thing?” he asked as a reply.

“Suppose not. Truthfully I wouldn’t change that moment for anything,” she said casually.

“So where is the problem?” he asked wondering what was bothering her.

“Nowhere. I was just curios,” Sydney explained sounding somewhat sad.

“Listen… The game and results will always be there but you and I change with time and I don’t want to miss out on anything,” he replied sincerely.

“That is so sweet. Makes me feel almost guilty for teasing you on it all the time,” Sydney said with a smile on her lips.

“Sure,” Vaughn replied shaking his head in disbelieve.

Sydney just laughed and gently kissed his cheek. All of a sudden she felt so much better and there was no other place she rather be then right her and now with him. Vaughn knew when to back of and yet he was there to catch her when she was about to fall. He never forced her to talk about her worries and gave her space when she needed it the most all the while staying close enough for her to reach out to him in need. She felt she could relay on him without a doubt and that meant a lot. Still the next fifteen minutes were spent in silence again. The radio was playing and she returned to staring out the passenger side window. Yet the mood had changed. She was content though a bit tired. She watched the passing by scenery with interest and curiosity. There was a sparkle in her chocolate brown eyes and a vivid smile on her lips. At that moment she knew she was in love and there’s no other way she’d want it to be.

“I thought about taking self defence classes,” Sydney casually said continuing the conversation.

“To protect yourself from the crazed fans if you become famous some day?” he joked.

“More like crazy loonies I try to interview as a journalist,” Sydney replied smiling.

“You are determent,” he hinted at the fact she had already picked out a possible profession for herself.

“Truthfully self defence was my moms idea,” she replied realising as soon as she had said those words that everyone thought her mother to be dead.

“Your mother?” he asked feeling confused.

“Yes. When I was little she always told me I should know how to protect myself when I grow up,” Sydney lied hoping he’d drop the subject.

“But then you won’t need me anymore,” he pretended to pout.

“Trust me. You have other useful qualities too,” she replied giving him an adoring look.

“I feel a lot better now,” he said with a grin.

“For example you give good back massages. Think how much money I’ll save,” she continued.

“I’d tickle you right now if I could,” he replied pretending to be insulted.

“You still love me,” she stated a fact.

“And you are hopeless,” he replied shaking his head.

“But you like me that way,” she stated lovingly.

He begun to laugh and gently stroke her cheek with the palm of his hand. And an hour later he drove her home.

“So why were you sad?” the woman curiously asked.

“No reason. Sometimes I just am. I can’t help it,” Sydney explained truthfully.

“Interesting,” the woman simply commented.

“Not really,” Sydney replied with a shrug.

“So self defence?” the woman asked wanting to hear more about it.

“My mom would have probably had me master martial arts if I hadn’t been so passionate about dancing,” Sydney explained with a smile.

“So a small compromise?” the woman asked.

“Something like that,” Sydney replied innocently.

Chapter 5

Then of course there were the romantic sunsets, picnics, Sunday morning jogs, movies, bowling, cooking, days spent at the beach, arguments. Basically all the things that are a part of being young, in love, and dating. He once even dragged me out camping with Andy and Caitlin... But I’ll never forget his eighteenth birthday.

It was Saturday and it also happened to be Vaughn’s birthday. Sydney picked him up at his house dressed casually trying her best to act calm but he could sense she was nervous. Still he said nothing putting his trust in her. Sydney on the other hand was anxious to see his reaction. Initially she had loved the idea but now she wasn’t so sure about his reaction. After all how many girlfriends take their boyfriends skydiving as a birthday present without even discussing it first. Come to think of it not even once had she mentioned her interest in it. Because truthfully she had always wanted to give it a try and feel that adrenaline rush but so far hadn’t had the chance. No actually it was more about taking the step then the lack of opportunity. Now with Vaughn’s birthday coming up and her wish to make it special she had seen the perfect excuse to jump out of an airplane. And perhaps she should have felt just a bit guilty for her own selfish agenda but honestly right now she couldn’t care less. After all what he doesn’t know can’t hurt him and in the end they’ll hopefully both gain something from this experience.

“So where are you taking us?” he asked interrupting Sydney’s thoughts.

“You’ll find out in about an hour,” she replied and gave him a reassuring smile.

“A hint?” he continued wondering if there would be a point in trying to get anything out of her.

“Nope. Trust me it’s for your own good,” Sydney replied half joking.

“Should I be scared?” he asked trying to act all worried.

“Yes,” Sydney simply replied sounding as serious as she could.

About an hour later just as Sydney had predicted they stopped in front of a secluded airstrip. While Vaughn was trying to figure out what she was up to Sydney got out of the car before he could ask any questions and stepped inside. He curiously followed and found her waiting for him. She gave him a reassuring smile saying nothing and when he tried to ask a question she simply kissed him indicating he should be patient just for a little while longer. Soon after a man walked in and greeted Sydney with a nod. Apparently they knew each other or at least had met before. She left Michaels side and walked over to the guy now standing behind his desk.

“So everything is in order?” Sydney asked him with an eager smile.

“Of course,” the man replied and sat down.

“This is going to be so exciting,” Sydney said more to herself then to the people in the same room with her.

“So that is Michael Vaughn? The lucky guy in your life?” the man asked curiously.

“Not so sure about lucky but yes that is Michael,” Sydney replied with a happy smile.

“Anyway these two men will instruct you on everything you need to know and will also be doing the jump with you since you have no experience so I’ll leave you two in their care. Have fun,” the man explained pointing at the two other guys that had shown up in the meanwhile.

Half an hour later they were all suited up and off in the air. To Sydney’s positive surprise Vaughn was still on speaking terms with her and though he looked somewhat scared and unsure he seemed willing to go trough with it. Or perhaps he still tried telling himself this was only a bad dream but it didn’t matter because now there was turning back. Sydney on the other hand couldn’t have been more eager. She knew they had to jump out in the right spot so they could land according to plan but it all seemed to take just too long. The waiting was killing her. She simply wanted to jump already. And though at first she had considered letting him be first she figured that other way around was better. Seeing her do it would probably encourage him and besides she was too inpatient at the moment to even wait an extra minute. Finally the man signalled them to get ready and said they have a minute.

“Hope you don’t mind if I jump first,” Sydney said with a big grin on her face as she walked over to the opened plain door.

“So you know what you are doing?” he asked hopefully.

“Nope not a clue. But I sure hope he does. Besides there’s first time for everything,” Sydney replied with a shrug.

And then she jumped enjoying it even more then she had expected. The simple feeling of falling and weightlessness was peculiar. But yes she was happy and loving it. At this moment she was sure she should do it again sometime. Few minutes later she noticed Vaughn from the corner of her eye and she felt proud he had done it too. Now the first part of his birthday gift was delivered and once they were on the ground and hopefully where they should be she could show him the second part of her surprise. Eventually the parachutes were opened and soon after that they enjoyed a nice soft landing.

“Wasn’t this fun?” Sydney asked Vaughn once they were both free from their parachutes.

“I’m still alive and I love,” Vaughn replied and kissed her.

“I suppose that is a yes,” Sydney said smiling. “But come on let’s go get freshened up and figure out how I can get my car back,” she continued walking towards the big wooden building not far from them with the two guys had done the jump with them following behind.

“Surprise,” suddenly everyone screamed when they entered the building.

“I told you he would jump out of the airplane,” Sydney said to everyone as a greeting.

“You planned all this,” Michael asked turning his glance from all his birthday guests to her.

“I had some help but yes it was my idea. Happy birthday darling,” Sydney answered and kissed him gently.

“You are amazing,” he replied glad to have someone like her in his life.

“I know. But come on let’s get changed and you can finally have your favourite pair of jeans and the t-shirt back so you can stop complaining about losing them,” Sydney continued grabbing his hand.

“It was you?” he asked somewhat surprised but come to think of it now it all seemed to fit.

“You are welcome to join in on the party,” Sydney told the two guys who had entered behind them before leading Vaughn to the so-called dressing room so they could both change into something more fitting. The party itself lasted well into the night and after everyone was either too tired or too drunk to drive home on their own they turned the dance floor into a sleeping area. Luckily Sydney had been wise enough to advice everyone to bring along a sleeping bag of their own. And in the morning she was glad to see that her car had been returned and after a nice barbecue everyone drove home.

“So how did you pull it off?” the woman asked curiously.

“It involved a lot of organizing,” Sydney replied with a smile.

“And…” the woman said so she would continue.

“My mom and the guest to lend a hand and also keep quiet while acting perfectly natural,” Sydney added with a shrug.

“So did you ever get him into doing it again?” the woman asked next.

“So far haven’t had the chance,” Sydney simply stated.

“Yes of course the brake up. Tell me about it,” the woman replied.

“No,” Sydney protested and shook her head.

“It will only do you good,” the woman said calmly.

“No. It just hurt too much. I don’t want to think about it again,” Sydney explained sounding sad.

“Please. You’ve been keeping it in you for too long,” the woman tried again.

“I was fine the first few weeks. Then I realised he’s gone. At one point I stopped replying his letter and eventually I was fine again. And don’t even think about asking why I didn’t go to Paris,” Sydney replied in a tone that indicated she was done talking on this subject.

“Alright. You don’t have to say anything,” the woman said convinced that even now it was tough subject for her.

“For months I found myself crying on random occasions when I was home alone. I had never expected to feel that way,” Sydney explained sadly unsure why she was speaking about it

“Voluntary torture,” the woman stated a rhetorical question.

“More like fear. I was scared that if for a reason or another things wouldn’t work out between us I’d not only lose him but also the wonderful memories we shared. So I hurt him before we could hurt each other or something. I don't know... It must sound so incredibly foolish,” Sydney continued and begun to cry.

“Don’t be so hard on yourself. You were only eighteen,” the woman replied trying to console her and handed her a napkin.

nice chappy
now i see why she so broken
so i still got a ?
who the dude she talkin to????
thanks for the pm
:cool: ambre :cool:

im first he :redhair:

just finished reading this fic and i absolutly love it!!!!!

it's so real and deep and meaningful and full pain, its amazingly well written... can i :Please: have a pm hwn you update

update soon

I'll update tomorrow :smiley:

The pm list:

texasalias2004
ambre
funkymonkey
fire*N*ice
LittleNicky
syd-157
dandan
farliieansds225
Alias lover 818
NadiaSantosFan
Jen-Jen
angels_fire_88

Chapter 6

We met eight years later. His wife had recently died and I was in my third year of marriage to a man who could make me feel so amazing and hurt me terribly at the same. I had just not long ago fought with my husband and he had insulted me worse then ever before. I was hurt angry and vulnerable. You think that) you get used to such things if they tend to happen rather often. Well of course I had and usually it did not bother me as much. But this time he had crossed the line and took it all to another level. For the first time I found it truly hard to forgive him. Yet I stayed because… It’s funny actually back then I had so many excuses and now I can’t even think of any. Anyway when Michael reappeared in my life we were both going trough some tough times in our lives. I guess that is partly the reason why we grew so close again. The thing is we understood each other better then people who had been an important part of our lives these past eight years.

As a result of their latest fight Sydney wasn’t on speaking terms with her husband. She was now sleeping in the guestroom unwilling to share the same bed with the man who had greatly hurt her feelings. She even locked the door for the night making sure he wasn’t able to come anywhere near her. Also her daily routine began an hour earlier. She woke up at six went for a run and was out of the house and on her way to work by the time her husband was waking up. She stopped eating breakfast at home and preferred to grab something on the way. Lunch was at work anyway so it just left the long annoying evenings when she tried to be in as late as she could. It was hard but she managed hoping he would come to his senses soon like he usually did. After all despite of everything she didn’t want her marriage to fall apart even if keeping it together seemed to be too much trouble. Little did she know that something good and unexpected would come of this mess that had nothing to do with the man she shared the same roof with.

In another early morning escape out of the house Sydney’s path crossed with Michael Vaughn. The man she had once loved and then let go never expecting to see him again. But eight years later life had different plans for them.

Sydney walked out of the Sturbucks and crossed the street. She stopped to find and then turn of her cell phone still refusing to speak to her husband. And that’s when she noticed a figure in the not so crowed street. There was something about his posture and the way he walked that sent chills down Sydney’s spine making her feel like there was something familiar in that person. She knew it to be silly and probably and illusion but she felt the urge to find out. So she walked faster to reach his hearing distance not wanting to stalk him just in case.

“Michael,” she called out his name but got no reaction.

“Michael,” she repeated wondering if he had even heard her.

“Vaughn,” she finally tried and now he stopped and turned around to face her.

Even from the distance Sydney recognised those green eyes and that smile of his. Yes they weren’t eighteen anymore but she knew for sure it was him. It simply had to be.

“Vaughn what are you doing here?” Sydney asked and pulled him into a warm hug.

“Working and trying to escape my sorrow,” he replied sounding truly happy to see her.

“I can’t believe it. It’s been like what… eight years?” Sydney continued still smiling like crazy.

“I think you are right. But I’m so happy to see you,” Vaughn replied running his hand trough his hear.

“Even if you find it hard to believe me too,” Sydney said still smiling.

“Don’t worry I believe you,” Vaughn replied and pushed a strand of Sydney’s hear behind her ear.

“By the way you do owe me a cup of coffee,” Sydney said hinting at the fact that she had thrown away hers in her attempt to catch up with him.

“I haven’t had breakfast yet so if you are not working maybe we could…” he begun leaving Sydney the option of ending that sentence witch ever way she felt comfortable.

“For an old friend I can always call in sick,” Sydney replied feeling the need to spend time with him.

“Sure you won’t get in trouble?” Vaughn asked just in case.

“Don’t worry so much,” Sydney reassured him picking up her phone to call work.

And so the day began with a simple breakfast. The years had gone by but Michael in so many ways was still the guy she had once loved. Those green eyes that smile the way he spoke or looked at her felt so warm and familiar. He was just older and maybe wiser but still childish in his own way. And that Sydney meant as compliment. Afterwards they revisited some of their former hangouts. They had dinner in what used to be their favourite restaurant. The owner had changed along with the menu but the food was still great. Then she dragged him shopping because she insisted on looking her best at dinner. Truthfully there was this one particular dress she saw the other day and absolutely loved but didn’t have an excuse to buy until now. And the night ended with the two of them sitting on the pier gazing at stars. By that time they had relived the highlights of their two-year relationship and caught up with the past eight years. A day that had begun with the two of them slightly uncomfortable around one another ended with them being best friends just like it used to be. They spilled their hearts to one another and under different circumstances this might have been a begging to something more then just a beautiful friendship.

“Peculiar,” the woman simply said as if no other words were necessary.

“What?” Sydney asked wondering what had she meant.

“The way you two just show up in each others lives,” the woman explained.

“You make it sound like it was all planned out by someone,” Sydney commented half joking.

“I didn’t mean to,” the woman replied with an innocent smile.

“Thought so,” Sydney said and shrugged her shoulders.

“Was it hard to see him suffering?” the woman asked changing the subject.

“Yes because I still cared about him,” Sydney replied with a hint of sadness in her voice.

“And yet you hadn’t spoken for almost eight years,” the woman said as if trying to correct Sydney’s sentence.

“It doesn’t matter because on some level nothing had changed,” Sydney replied with an adorable smile.

“Then you are truly lucky to have each other,” the woman said with a nod.

Back