Dismiss Notice
Alien Soup is a free community for fans of science-fiction, horror, & fantasy! Everybody is welcome here.

Sci-Fi Stargate: Universe

Discussion in 'Television & Web Series' started by Tom, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Tom

Tom An Old Friend

Submitted by Capt. Xerox

The producers of Stargate giveth and the producers of Stargate taketh away. The news that a third series in the franchise has been ordered coincides with the announcement that the current series, Stargate Atlantis, will be cancelled.
    The replacement series is called Stargate Universe and while a lot of sites are treating it as news, GateWorld reported on the existence of the new show way back in April. One commenter on that site observed that the new series would only be rolled out when Atlantis had run its course because the producers didn't want the hassles of doing two shows at once.
    Never having been a fan of any of the shows, I'm indifferent to the announcements. A new show that intrigues me more is Fringe, mostly because of the comparisons to the X-Files, one of my favourite shows of all time. The star of the show, Joshua Jackson, says I will be disappointed because it stands on its own. I could see for myself by downloading the leaked pilot, but I've got a collection of "leaked" pilots from other TV seasons that remain unwatched on my hard drive.
    One of those pilots was for the show The Sarah Connors Chronicles. Not only did I not watch the pilot, but I managed to not see a single episode and now the first season is available on DVD. A second season will start this September, but I probably won't watch any of those either. I find myself not caring about new series, instead waiting for them to establish themselves and catch up with them a few years later on DVD instead of investing my time in a show that's got no future.
    I'm probably not the only one who's changing their TV-watching habits. NBC wants to try to lure web viewers with a new online show called Gemini Division. It will feature daily webisodes that are a few minutes long with the lot of them collected as a single episode at the end of the week.

http://www.theendoftheuniverse.ca/

2. Tim

Tim Creative Writer

I read last night that the current SGA will end in January 2009, and that they will be expanding the "viable product" which I took to mean another series in the same universe.

Let's hope the new series isn't a CGI cartoon for pre schoolers :)

3. Tom

Tom An Old Friend

Don't tell me GeoLucas is in on it!

4. Kevin

Kevin Code Monkey Staff Abductee

"Stargate: Universe" -- Really, they couldn't come up with a better name?

5. OBgate

OBgate Scout

Even though Stargate Universe is going to be replacing it, Atlantis is in the middle of a great season. A trailer for the upcoming episode "The Lost Tribe" can be found at http://stargate.mgm.com/specialops/link.php?urlid=22&id=6847 and it looks like it will be an interesting episode. I also might as well mention that there is a new Stargate app on Facebook that seems to be pretty cool, you can check it out for yourself at http://stargate.mgm.com/specialops/link.php?urlid=21&id=6847

Official Stargate Special Ops Member

6. jeremy2728

jeremy2728 Scout

I can only say that I've always loved stargate. when sg-1 came out and took felgercarb from everyone I knew I watched it. So I am definitely giving universe a shot. I am just afraid that it may be some form of prequel and not continue earths march to domination of all the galaxies.

7. alpha

alpha Captain

What are your initial thoughts?

What I have seen posted on the net are quite encouraging.

8. Azhria Lilu

Azhria Lilu Rocket Ranger

The jury's out for me at the minute. From the minute I heard about SG Atlantis I couldn't wait, but there's something about this that just bothers me.... but I'll give it a chance.. it's Stargate, after all!

9. carolinachiquita

carolinachiquita Scout

I'll definately watch it as SG is generally ace whatever but it sounds a bit Star Trek Voyager don't you think?

10. Smcki10

Smcki10 Captain

i'm still out on it becuase they caned SGA so they could make universe, i'm still bitter over that. :dry:

11. Azhria Lilu

Yeah, that's my biggest problem.

12. Noble Alex

Noble Alex Rocket Ranger

Did SGA have anything to do with Atlantis, the lost island?

13. Smcki10

Smcki10 Captain

yeah. Atlantis was the lost city. hmm SG-1 found it in like S7 and then it spun off of there. and SGA followed all of the adeventrues the new SG team got into in the city of the ancients. it was a great show, if you like SG-1 you would like SGA, it was a little bit more on the comedic side but still a great show!

14. Noble Alex

Noble Alex Rocket Ranger

I've caught a few episodes. I know they had some kind of time machine ring or orb thing where they'd run through.

15. Smcki10

Smcki10 Captain

yeah that's the stargate, it's what all the shows are based on. :smile:

16. anders_fan_8

anders_fan_8 Captain

The premiere episode will be on SyFy Oct. 2 at 9PM. It's a two hour premiere.

17. superintelligentone

superintelligentone Rocket Ranger

I guess this isn't available in Syndication?

18. Azhria Lilu

So hopefully we'll get it either a couple of weeks later or November... cool!

19. anders_fan_8

anders_fan_8 Captain

No. It'll be available on the SyFy channel in the states. I'm not sure of the other stations carrying it in other countries....

20. Azhria Lilu

We usually get it a couple of weeks later, so here's hoping.