~Times Like These~

michy said:
You are such an amazing writer, JJ needs to hire you!  ;)
[post="949977"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
OMG, that wouldn't be good, because it would only be S/V fluff and Angst. lol

Wow!! Absolutely amazing!! I loved the ending!! It was so good! You had me crying!
Thanks for all the PM's! I loved this story. Please PM me if you write something more.
Good luck with the contest!!

Goodness, I was sitting here saying, its not true, Syd isn't dead, no she isn't dead, then when you finally convince me, BAM!!!
It was all a dream, you got me, you tricked me bad!!
I loved your story, wished it was longer!!
PM me if you make a sequel!!

Well, that's all i can write for the challenge. But i think i'm going to continue, and when i do i'll let you all know! :smiley: ;)

Before you revealed that everything was a dream, the thing I could think of was that Vaughn had made the only logical choice available to him. I couldn't see him living a life without Sydney a second time and I doubted that he'd drown himself in a bottle again- the beer was just to calm himself down. I knew he'd kill himself.

Thankfully, it was all a dream and Syd and Vaughn are actually going to be together. The life they always wanted and deserved was finally going to be theirs.

Thanks for the PM and please PM me when you write another story.

Chris

when i read the chapter where syd died i was so sad and i refused to believe it and then i read the next chapter i was so relieved that it was all a dream ^_^ . i'm so glad that they are going to get married and have the life that they've always dreamed of. thanks for the PM.

OMG.....this is one of the best stories i've read! it was fantastic. that dream that Vaughn had brought tears to my eyes. and the ending was awesome. the whole story was awesome. if you continue this story can i get a PM please? :happydance:

Wow! How did I not find this story earlier? You are an amazing writer. Wow, I had tears rolling down my cheeks, you had me totally convinced it was real. I was so glad you wrote a happy ending! Please PM me if you write a sequel or anything else! ^_^

This is the unmessed up chapter. lol

~Epilouge~

In time, love proves to be one of the strongest feelings a man can experiance. He knew a little about that. It caused him to have a horrible once in a lifetime nightmare that changed his life forever. It made him finally realize that he was being slefish with his relationship. He was loving her without telling her, without letting her know that his heart was hers, and that it had been from the very beginning. After experiancing what it would be like to lose her he finally opened his eyes to the harsh world. Because as much as he promised her that nothing would ever tear them apart, it really could. She could be taken from him at any given moment, and then, he would break. He wouldn't be a man anymore, but rather a shadow of his former self. He would be empty, with no more love to give. He wasn't willing to let her go without making sure that he told her how much he loved her every single day of every single year for the rest of his life. Because after everything she had been through, she of all people deserved to know.

So there he sat, in the back of an old cab, the leather seats warn from being used by so many different people. He watched the less fortunate people walk along the broken brick sidewalks. Homeless women sitting in the alleys while their small children played with bottles and threw rocks at the beat up metal dumpster. Few people were window shopping at the small pawn shop on the corner while others sat outside a cafe, eating bread and drinking fine wine at an early time. He went back to his childhood, the days he would play ball in the fields near his home with his friends, the day he lost his best friend Dominick when he drowned in a lake because the other boys dared him to dive in. That was the reason he learned how to swim. He never did tell Sydney about that, he never told her about Dominick, he never spoke his name after the funeral. He was nine at the time, right after he had lost his father. He began to think the world was cruel, after losing two people he loved so much in such a short period of time. He was just a boy.

A soft touch on his knee pulled him out of his thoughts and he looked down. Her hand rested on his tigh as the cab stopped at a red light. She laid her head on the head rest and stared at him as he took hold of her hand and intwinded their fingers.

"You've been quiet ever since we got here, what's on your mind?" She asked. He looked over at her as she looked at him intently, trying to search his eyes for an explanation for the silence. He shook his head softly.

"Nothing." He said.

His stared at the hole in the back of the drivers seat as more silence fell over them.

"Nothing?" She asked softly.
"Are you sure?"

He nodded as he once again looked out his window.

"Yeah...i'm just...." He paused as his eyes fell onto a familiar building. His throat tightened up and the palms of his hands instantly becamse clamy, he broke out into a cold sweat.

"Vaughn? What?" She asked sitting up. She could see the look on his face from the reflection in the glass.

"Arrêt ! Arrêter la voiture !" [stop! stop the car!] He said to the driver. The cab quickly pulled to the side of the uneven brick road and Vaughn immediatly opened the door. Another car passing by almost taking it off. He quickly closed it and started to look around at all the familiar buildings. Sydney stepped out of the car with him.

"Vaughn, what's going on?" She asked from over the roof of the cab.

"Oh my god." he said under his breath. He walked across the street toward one of the buildings. Sydney groaned and stuck her head back into the cab.

"Attendre ici !" [wait here!] she told him as she threw him some money from over the seat. She closed he door and followed him across the street.

Walking inside the building he saw a man sitting on the stairs restaining the railing with a thick oak finish. He immiedatly recognized the man.

"Monsieur Renolds." He said, more to himself than anyone. The man stopped his brush strokes and looked up at Vaughn who was standing at the bottom of the stairs. He squinted slightly.

"Do i know you?" He asked in a thick french accent. Just as Sydney entered through the front door Vaughn walked up the stairs. Renolds following closely.

"Monsieur, monsieur you can't go up there." He said as he followed, his paint brush still in his hand. Vaughn reached room 407 and turned the knob. It sqeaked open and stale air met him as he entered. He coughed slightly but didn't let it deter him. He walked inside the room, it was just as he dreamnt it, except the fact that no one had occupied it. The matress was hanging off the frame of the bed, a nightstand stood next to it with a significant amount of dust covering the top. Scanning the rest of the room he saw the kitchen, some cabinet doors hung open and the foucet dripped a drop of water ever couple of seconds. Then he saw it, the blue recliner sitting still in front of the one pained window. The white paint on the moldings had chipped off over time and had fallen in flakes to the window sill. Walking slowly over to the window he stared at the empty bottle of beer, a white peice of paper stuck out of the top. Sydney and the man stood in the doorway, watching him intently.

"What happened here?" Vaughn asked. There was silence before Renolds spoke.

"A man died here two months ago, he killed himself. He left that for someone, but no one ever came for it, so i left it." He said looking at the bottle.
"He was a good man, very sad though, he never told me why."

Vaughn took the note out of the bottle and unrolled it. Standing there at the window he read the french words slowly.

There's no place in this world for me, not when she's not part of it. I've thought about the last years frequantly. I've thought about my mistakes, about my selfishness. It pains me to know that she never heard me utter the words to her. Three simple words that i took for granted. I'm suffering for my mistake, for my love. I'm meant to live, but i want to die. There's nothing left for me to do, i'm just taking up air. This is the only way i know how to be with her, to make sure that no one follows in my footsteps. A better place waits for me, she waits for me. I hate myself, but i love her more. She waits.

He slowly rolled the note back up and stuck it back in the neck of the bottle. He sighed and took a seat in the blue recliner, leaning back he watched the rain pour down outside. This is how it all began, it all began with the rain..and the window.

"Son, i don't mean to offend. But who are you?" Renolds asked from the doorway. His voice was laced with confusion. Vaughn stared out the window.

"I used to live here." He said softly. He heard the old man walk further in.

"Son, the only people two people who have lived here are dead, one was a friend, and the last i just told you about." He said. Vaughn sat silent. Meanwhile, Sydney was still standing in the doorway, finally realizing what was going on.

"Look, i don't know if you need help, but i've owned this building for fifty years...."

"He's not crazy." Sydney said from the doorway. Vaughn's eyes fell to the rusty radiator underneath the window.

"He's telling the truth." She said walking to the other side of Vaughn. She looked down at him, his face completly relaxed. He was still to shocked to even think straight. She took his hand.

"Michael, come on." She said pulling him up. She led him to the door but he stopped breifly.

"Tell...Madame Lenior, that Michael Vaughn said hello." He said. With that he let go of Sydney's hand and walked past her as she stared back at the shocked old man standing by the window.

"He wasn't lying." She said one final time. He stared at her as she left the room. Walking back across the street Vaughn got into the cab and stared out the window blankly. Sydney got in next to him as the cab pulled away from the curb. She moved closer to him and wrapped her arms around his right bicep and laid her head on his shoulder.

"It was supposed to be me." He said softly. She didn't say a word.

He finally realized why he had lost people he loved in such cruel ways. It had taken him almost thirty years to realize that he was taking love for granted. He did with his father, he did with Dominick, and he did with Sydney. But the only difference, was that someone above was watching over him, someone gave him the chance to change the future of his life. Sitting there, he remembered the last line the man had written in the letter he had read moments before.

"Doubt that the sun doth move, doubt truth to be a liar, but never doubt I love." ~Shakespear

And to think the answer was already written out for him...centuries before.

WOW :thud: just... wow...
That was soooooo amazing
but i gotta say im a little confused now
when did Vaughn live there? does that mean the entire story wasnt a dream?

but it was sooooooo amazing
and btw congrats on winning the fan fic contest :D

No, he remembered the place from the nightmare. He didn't live there in the real world, but in his dream it seemed so real to him. Hence why the old man didn't know him.

And the man that died wasn't him, but another man that took the same thing for granted. Hence why he said it was him that was supposed to die. He was luckier than some.

spy41 said:
No, he remembered the place from the nightmare.  He didn't live there in the real world, but in his dream it seemed so real to him.  Hence why the old man didn't know him.

And the man that died wasn't him, but another man that took the same thing for granted.  Hence why he said it was him that was supposed to die.  He was luckier than some.
[post="1018088"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

ah ok i get it
thats what i thought but wasnt sure - hah blonde momment :blush:

OOOMMMGGG
that was....just....umm....wow
you cnat possibly know how great i thought that was.....FANTASTIC!!
and a WICKED way to play all th eparts into it....
thanks for the pm....but now its OFFICIALLY over *wipes tear* im sad now......
and yeha, congratulations on the contest!

Okay, guys i'm totally bad. I realized that the post is messed up. I don't know how, but i'm going to repost it. Sorry about that.

I edited the last chapter. It is now how it should be. :D

Back