You're Joking, Right?

OMG this is great!! I love it

I'm guessing there are no pm's for this so I'll find them on my own, I think I've got the hang of it now and I can guess which page the chapter will be on and most times I'm right but I have to check every day otherwise my working out the page system doesn't work.

i wonder who its gonna be.... lol

cute start.... maybe i will lurk till new chap...... maybe i'll just read something else for a while...................

remember you guys - there's gonna be links to the chapters in the very first post - its the exact same link i'd send you if it was a PM

thanks for the reviews :hug: here's chapter two :smiley:

Chapter 2
After scanning the bar for a few minutes Eric finally announced, “Her,” as he pointed towards the girl with the auburn hair Michael had smiled at when purchasing his drink fifteen minutes earlier.

“Alright, fine,” Michael sighed. “And what exactly am I supposed to say?”

Eric shrugged with a smile, “Just be your gay self.”

Michael growled at him before walking away from the table and making his way around the outside edge of the bar towards the woman he was to speak with. As he walked, he wondered what exactly he was doing. He was a smart, independent twenty-nine year old man, so why did he let his friends push him into doing ridiculous things? Perhaps it was because of his deep down inner nerd, the one that had been there since high school, just aching to fit in with the ‘cool kids’.

He wasn’t the best looking guy in the room, this he knew, but he also knew he wasn’t hideous either. His emerald green eyes (his personal favorite quality about himself) had attracted his fair share of girlfriends over the years, but still, he had always felt trapped by his studious nature. At the same time though, he didn’t regret it. His willingness to forgo drinking binges and wild parties had earned him a number two ranking in his medical school class, something which he was very proud of. Still, when it came to being socially pressured by his friends, who were perhaps the most un-studious bunch he could have come across, he gave in easily, wanting to be liked.

Slowly, he approached the woman Eric had pointed out. She was seated at the bar, obviously alone, swirling her martini glass across the bar. Her auburn hair fell in soft curls down to her shoulders, where it rested on the royal blue blouse she was wearing. From the blouse combined with the knee length black skirt, it was obvious she had come straight from her work, wherever that was. Michael found himself attracted to her, which definitely did not bode well for the situation he was about to create.

Clearing his throat, he took a deep breath and approached the girl quickly, deciding the best approach was a blunt one. In the best ‘gay’ voice he could muster he said, “Oh my god, I just love your shoes.” Once the words escaped his mouth, he nearly gagged, especially when he was convinced he heard the guys snorting at him.

The woman’s eyes snapped up and she slowly focused on him with her chocolate brown eyes. “Excuse me?” she asked, not sure if she had heard him correctly.

“Your shoes,” Michael repeated while resting his elbow down on the bar near her glass. “They’re cute.”

“Oh…,” she said cautiously as she looked down at her black sling backs. “Thanks…you… you don’t look so bad yourself,” she commented while reviewing his light blue button up shirt, khaki pants and brown loafers.

“Really?” he asked, trying to make up another ‘gay’ comment on the fly. “Because my ex-boyfriend totally said I looked frumpy! But then again, I guess that’s why he’s my ex, right?!” he managed. Great, he though, I sound more like a Valley girl than a gay man…

The woman cracked a smile and laughed at him. “You’re joking, right?”

“What? No, he totally said that,” Michael assured with the nod of his head.

“Your… boyfriend? You’re gay?!” she asked in total shock. Michael shrugged and nodded, convinced that sweat beads would begin pouring down his face at any moment. Going up to a strange, attractive woman in a bar was hard enough when he was being himself; this was near impossible.

“Wow,” she sighed. “My gaydar must really be off tonight,” she said quietly to herself. When this man had smiled at her from across the bar earlier that evening, thinking he was gay was certainly the last thought in her mind. In fact, at the time, she had thought he was giving her a ‘hey, you’re cute, maybe I should come over there and ask you out’ smile, but clearly, she was mistaken.

“Anyway sweetie, I don’t want to bother you…,” Michael said, standing up and taking a step backwards, eager to terminate what he knew would end up being the most embarrassing moment of his life.

“Wait,” she said. He froze. “I mean… you don’t have to. My friend stood me up and…”

“She stood you up?” Michael asked, sounding more concerned, not as a ‘gay’ act either, but as himself.

“Yeah… we were supposed to have a girl’s night out, you know? She made me swear to meet her at this place and we were going to hang out… but she ditched me for her boyfriend and… well, bars aren’t really my thing,” she lowered her voice to make her last statement.

Michael smiled and slid into the seat beside her. He was liking her more by the second. “They’re not really my thing either and I’m sorry your friend ditched you. What’s your name?”

“Sydney Bristow,” she told him with a smile.

“Well Sydney, I’m Michael Vaughn and it is my pleasure to make your acquaintance,” he grinned and extended his hand. She shook it lightly, still smiling at him. “So bars aren’t you’re thing, huh? What is your thing?”

She shrugged. “Curling up on the sofa with… well, it’s silly,” she turned slightly pink and stared back down at her drink.

“It’s not silly if you like it,” he told her. Stop flirting! he silently chastised himself.

“Well,” she said, looking back up at him tentatively. “I like to knit… or crochet.” Not expecting this, Michael let out a soft chuckle. “See, it’s silly,” she said, turning even more crimson.

“No, no it’s not. In fact… I’ve always wanted to learn how to knit myself, but I never had anyone to teach me,” he told her.

“Oh well… I could teach you sometime… maybe,” she said cautiously. “I mean, if you want to learn from me, that is.”

“I’d love that,” he smiled at her. “Maybe sometime we could-” he paused mid sentence. He was about to ask her out, but how would that work? She thought he was gay. This was definitely a problem. Quickly he tried to salvage what he said. “…could knit together…,” he said rather stupidly, mentally kicking himself.

“Maybe,” Sydney nodded. Looking at him, a million things were filtering through her mind. Why was someone who had just told her that he was gay, making her heart flutter that way? Having a crush on a gay guy was definitely not the best way to reacquaint herself with the dating world after a train-wreck of a relationship like the one she had recently abandoned. Then again, it raised an interesting question. Girls, some girls, not any that she knew, but some had gay best friends. The innocent, slightly sheltered girl within her wondered what exactly that would be like. Could be fun, right? But there was certainly no harm in trying it, right?

“Listen…,” Sydney continued after a few moments of silence. “Are you busy tomorrow?”

“Tomorrow? Why?” Michael asked cautiously.

“Well… my friend…”

“The one who ditched you?” he asked.

“Yeah her,” Sydney nodded. “We were supposed to go see Stars on Ice, but she bailed… I’ve got an extra ticket. Do you wanna go?”

Stars on Ice?! Michael felt his blood running cold and he gulped. For any man, any straight man, that was pure torture, but would that torture be worth it to see Sydney again? He thought about it for a few moments before deciding that yes, it would be. “Sure, why not. What time?”

“It’s at four in the afternoon,” she told him.

He cringed. “I’m supposed to be working until four… but I might be able to shift some patients around and-”

“Patients? You’re a doctor?” she interrupted him.

He nodded once, “Pediatrician.”

“Oh how sweet,” Sydney smiled. “I love babies.”

“Yeah, me too,” he smiled back. “Umm… can I meet you there? I may be a few minutes late, but I’ll try my best to get there as close to four as possible.”

“Absolutely, I’ll meet you out front of the rink,” she told him with a smile. “Oh… do you want to exchange cell numbers just in case something comes up?”

“Oh, yeah, definitely,” Michael said. He pulled out his phone and programmed her into his address book as she did the same with her phone. “I’ll see you tomorrow then Sydney.”

“See you,” she sighed.

Having a crush on a gay guy was definitely not the best way to reacquaint herself with the dating world after a train-wreck of a relationship like the one she had recently abandoned.
ok, 1-haha
2- TRAIN WRECK. hehe, irony.
3- hilarious update!

OK I'm having a hard time pictruing Vaughn gay!!!!! :lol:
-Poor Vaughn...he likes her but can't do anything about it!!!
I hope he just forgets the bet and tells her the truth so he can go out with her!!!! :angelic:
-Great update!! Loved it!!!

Great update. Why didn't he just tell her he's not gay and it was a bet.. better to get the truth out there. Suppose that would take away from the comedy of it tho huh? Can't wait for more

Thanks for the PM

Back