Beginning again

Ok Sci this was just splendid!!!!!!!!!! :P though still not enough for me...

but before I forget... I'd official like to apologize :sorry: for :poke: ing people around here... and Sure Laur...you deserve a :hug: for the wonderful and quick work you've done!!!!

I love it!!!!!!!!! and still can't get enough of it :angelic:

cookie

Something's up with this baby, Cai can feel it... *sniffs Lauren* That's not a baby in there, is it? :eyebrow:

*cringes* BUT YARRRRGH! Why must the baby be Vaughnie's? Vaughnie doesn't want a baby, do you Vaughnie? Vaughnie only wants babies with Syddie... I want Vaughnie and Syddie babies too! :cry:

Let's just hope... Something... Er, happens to the baby... :thinking: I'm so evil :P *pats baby on the head* Poor baby... It's mummy is a cow *sniffle*

Awesome chappy Clammy! (Almost called you Sci there for a sec :rolleyes:) I wubbed all the fluffynessssss!

Cai
x

:rolleyes: well lotta stuff is going on here and well yeah...I'm kinda never home these days :ermm: ok ok I'll TRY to hurry *sighs* :P

Hey guys! yep finally an update...I've been away for some months, sorry about that -_- Hope you'll enjoy though :thinking:

Chap 33

Vaughn and I finish our lunch quietly, trying not to think about work. But after almost two hours of peace, we have to go back there. So we spend the rest of the day reading documents, contacting people, looking for any tail we could get that would lead us to Lauren Reed. Finally, Vaughn, a few agents and I are the only ones left at the office, most of the people already gone back home to their families. I decide that we’ve got enough of work today, and once the mess on my desk is cleared and my computer is shut off, I look up at Vaughn. But surprisingly he’s not at his desk, and not in the room either.

After about twenty minutes of searching him, I finally find him in the basement, working his anger with his gun. I sign the paperboard and put the protections on my ears before entering the noisy underground. Vaughn stands at the farest cabin, where he is sure no one will bother him. I stay away a minute, carefully observing him. He’s gripping his gun so tightly it looks like he’s gonna break it. I don’t even try to imagine what he can possibly think about when he’s shooting, deep in concentration.

Eventually he acknoledges me, and slowly lower his gun on the table in front of him. A small smile finally creeps up on his sweaty face and I take off my ears protections.

“Are you looking for me since a while? I didn’t mean to-” Vaughn starts to apology, but I cut him off.

“It’s okay, I needed to walk anyway. I hate being on a chair all day long.” He nods and turns to push the red button that will bring the target back to him.

“Nice shoot.” I notice he’s better than me in the shooting part. All of his shots are stuck in the center of the brown paper, perfectly drawing a circle. I look at Vaughn, who seems lost in his thoughts.

“Let’s go home.” I take his hand in mine and he simply nods before starting to walk. He gives his gun back at the guard and we silently go pick up the car. Vaughn isn’t more talkative as he drive us to my place, but the silence is comfortable, both of us needing calm after a full day of reading. But even if the car is as quiet as death, I have a feeling that our minds aren’t quiet at all.

We’re finally home, and after we both shower we eat dinner calmly, talking about Weiss and his new girlfriend, anything to keep our minds off of work. We go to bed rather early and I put my head on Vaughn’s chest, like I do every night now. I let his heartbeat soothe me, lulling me to sleep. But as I lay in Vaughn’s arms he quietly starts to talk, so softly that I first don’t hear him.

“What?” I ask him, not sure he was talking to me or more to himself.

“I said, it’s never going to end.” He lets out a sigh that confirm what I’ve thought all the day: Lauren keeps both of our minds too busy.

“It will, Vaughn. It will end.”

“How do you know?” I can’t help but notice how desesperate he sounds as he asks me.

“Because we’ve been through so much worse. When we were fighting against the Alliance for starting.”

“How worse?” after some thinking I let my heart speak for me.

“We weren’t together yet. We weren’t as strong as we are now. I feel like we can overcome anything, as long as we stuck together.”

“I wish I was so secure Syd. But how can you be sure? How can you say we’ll go through everything?”

“Because love overcomes everything.”

“I hope so. I really hope so.” With that we both let sleep win over us, Vaughn hugging me tightly, my hand resting on his heart.

The day starts like most of our days, a routine slowly rising between us. We first wake up, saying hello to each other properly in bed before getting ready to face the world, quitting our sanctuary called home.

But something is different today, I can feel it. Good or bad, I don’t know, but I’m sure today won’t be like our past days, filled with researches of Lauren. As we drive toward the office, the sky first blue darken, and once there it’s actually pouring, leaves flying over the road, rain pounding on the car. The thunder can be heard away, and we can barely hear the music anymore as the storm is hitting us.

We make our way to the headquarters floor with the elevator, both of us remaining silent but speaking volumes just holding hands, a gesture became automatic through the past weeks. As the doors start to open, I take one final deep breathe before letting go Vaughn’s hand, ready to face whatever is coming.

The doors open on hundreds of agents running everywhere, carrying heavy files, talking over comms or on phone or studying screens. I look at Vaughn who looks at me: something’s up. Something big.

I spot Dixon and rush to him, asking the reasons of all this agitation.

“We have something on the Covenant. It seems that they’re moving something big from one spot to another. We don’t know yet what it is, but it’s a huge operation for them. So it is for us now.” He excuses himself as an agent comes over and shows him a file, and I quickly look for my father, who must know something.

“Dad!” I call him when I see him coming from the briefing room.

“Sydney, Vaughn. I was going to call both of you. There’s a meeting in 10 min in the briefing room. Bring all the files you both have on the Covenant, and on Lauren.” He eyes Vaughn as he finishes his sentence. I can tell by his look that he’s worried about us. Really worried. But the question is, why?

Soon we’re sitting next each other on the black chairs of the debriefing room, waiting for the last few agents to arrive. Kendall and my dad are sitting at the head of the table, all of us waiting for them to explain what is going on. Finally we’re all here, and the debrief can start.

“First thank to all of you for being here in such short notice.” My dad starts. “As some of you already know we received earlier this morning confirmation of a Covenant operation we were suspecting to be prepared. We noticed an abnormal activity in the Amazonian forest some weeks ago. After further investigation a source finally confirmed that the Covenant is moving one of their most important bases. Another source informed us that their ‘new project’ was being compromised – obviously by the CIA- although we don’t know yet what it is about.” As my dad speaks some pictures are displayed on our screens. Sattelites photos of the base, documents summarying some Covenant activity, and more important a few pictures of the Covenant agents being in the forest the past few days -including Lauren-

I look at Vaughn, who is looking with concentration at the screen in front of him, obviously not pleased by what he’s seeing. My dad keeps explaining how far the CIA knows about the Covenant ‘project’ and the reason they’re moving from their location, but I’m not really listening to him, more preoccupied by Vaughn. I can feel the anger burning in his veins, the need for him to revenge the treason he’s been victim of. And as I look at his clunching fists, I’m scared to loose him. What if his needs of justice, of revenge take him away from me? What is Lauren takes him from me? Again?

I’m pulled off of my reverie my Vaughn looking at me insistently, as if he was trying to tell me something.

“Sydney?” my dad’s voice finally reach my ears and that’s when I notice that all the people sitting around the table are looking at me, obviously waiting for me to say something.

“Oh, sorry. What?” my dad send me a glare before repeating what he just said.

“I asked you if you or Vaughn have found any other information that could help us here.”

“Oh, no, nothing more.” I shake my head and look at my lap when my dad sighs after sending me an aggravated look.

Some agents state what they found –nothing much valuable – but I’m already back in my thoughts, planning my own revenge against the Covenant. The incoming mission seems to be the perfect one to finally get closure, with both the Covenant and Lauren. And with one final look at Vaughn I have the confirmation of what I’m thinking: this mission is gonna be one of the biggest we’ve ever done. It might even be our last one, but one thing I’m sure, I won’t give up until I have what I want, I won’t give up unless I know I’m in peace.

My dad quickly goes over some details before naming the agents going to intercept the Covenant ‘project’. As expected Vaughn and I are in the team, but I wouldn’t have wanted it other way anyway. The other agents live the room so only the ones going are staying: Vaughn, I, and three agents I’ve never worked with before, agents Ford, Burks and Yoku.

Marshall quickly goes over the op tech, even if we only need a device in order to force open some doors –nothing I’ve never done- Finally after about two hours the briefing is finally over, and we’re sent home to pack quickly before joining the plane at the airport. Vaughn and I quickly drive back home to take some of our stuff, but as I’m going to open the door to go back in the car he grabs my elbow and look in my eyes so deeply, I feel like he’s reading my soul with the only power of his eyes.

“Vaughn?” I’m not sure what’s going on in his mind right now, but one thing I’m sure, it’s scaring me.

“Promise me you’ll be careful over there.” His voice is unsteady, almost ready to break if he pronounces one more word.

“Only if you promise me the same thing.” He sighs, as usually he only think about others, not thinking about him.

“Syd-”

“No, Vaughn. If I promise to come back in one piece, you have to do the same thing. I don’t care coming back if you don’t.” he nods and I look straight in his eyes, taking confirmation of it. As I’m lost in the green ocean of his eyes, I only feel safe, surrounded by this warm feeling that envelops me completely, heart and soul. And as he kisses me with all the love and care he has, I can only feel safe, and be sure that he’ll be as careful as I will, because we both need to be here for each other.

After sharing one last kiss we eventually pull back, knowing we can’t take as much time as we’d like for ourselves. I grab my bag and Vaughn does the same before following me to the car. I put on some soft music and grab Vaughn’s hand, needing as much contact with him as I can, taking my strength from him, before letting him go and go back into work mode.

As we go out of the car I give him one quick kiss, trying to be caught by the other agents, even if the whole office gossip about Vaughn and I since a while now. One last look at each other and we’re both ready to face whatever is coming, each other taking his strength in the other one.

Once in the plane we all sit around the little table at the center, reading files and preparing our moves once we’ll be there. The mission is quiet simple actually: localise the Covenant’s base –for that we have maps, it’ll be a piece of cake- infiltrate it and define whatever their ‘project’ is. Once we have confirmation we’ll have to put explosives all around their base, escape and pull on the trigger. Finally after one last visual confirmation that everything’s burnt, we’ll go back home. This part is rather easy. The only part I’m dreading is facing Lauren there. Our orders are to capture as much Covenant agents as we can. But my biggest fear is not to let my mind speak, and take my chance to revenge. I just hope that both Vaughn and I will be strong enough not to take this opportunity.

Once we’re done with everything we have about one hour left, and we all decide to take a little nap before the operation, not knowing when our next occasion to sleep will be. Oblivious to the other’s people looks, I go sit next Vaughn and put my head on his shoulder, letting his arms sneaking around my shoulders. I kiss briefly his neck before closing my eyes and fall asleep rather quickly, helped with the lullaby Vaughn’s heartbeat have become.

Vaughn wakes me up some minutes before we land, just the time for me to wake up properly and go change for the mission. He’s already dressed in his black and kaki outfit, as well as the three other agents aboard. I quickly change and check the time one last time: 2am. We’re finally ready to jump, and the hot and humid air hits us as soon as we open the plane’s door. The jungle’s climate isn’t my favorite, but no time to complain. As soon as we’re all on the ground we quickly hide our parachutes and start our way to the Covenant base.

The walk isn’t easy. Huge trees are hiding the sky from us, keeping the hot and heavy between their leaves. The ground doesn’t help us either: we have to move on huge weeds, cutting them with a hatchet as we progress. I fall here and there, cursing the jungle to make our progression difficult, but keep going on, following the other agents.

Agent Yoku seems to be the best of us in this environment, walking fast, cutting the weeds as he almost run. It’s hard to catch up with him, and I’m glad when agent Ford offers to take his turn and to cut the trees before us. Vaughn and I stay back, watching if anything strange happens, and if we’re not followed. After about two hours of walking we’re finally there. Suddenly the jungle opens before us and reveals a huge building, all dark and quiet.

We localise quickly the only door of the sky-high building, came out of nowhere. Once the perimeter is secure we venture ourselves in. Agent Ford quickly knocks off the guard at the door, obviously mastering the hand-to-hand fight. The door opened on a long corridor, apparently guarded by the only man we just took care of. According to the CIA source the building is in fact hiding a smaller one inside, where the Covenant project is. We decide to split in two teams: Yoku and Ford go search one of the two doors of the central room, Vaughn and I looking for the second one, while Ford, the explosives expert of the team, and take care of setting the bombs around the building.

Vaughn and I find one of the door first, so we quietly listen through the door, waiting for Ford and Yoku’s signal to go in. After a short minute they are at the other door, and the four of us enter the room. Things go so fast I can barely register what’s going on. Everyone’s shooting in all the directions, one, two people fall on the floor. I can’t see clearly who it is, praying it’s not Vaughn, as I fight against Sark. Cole and Lauren are in the room too, fighting against who I can’t tell as Sark catch my arm and send me to the floor. I have no time to stand up as I feel a heavy knock on my head, following by what seems to be Sark’s feet in my stomach. The world starts to be blur as I hear a shot near me –I hear it way to well and fear for a second I’m the one it was aimed to- Sark suddenly fell by my side, eyes wide open, a single bullet in his forehead, the red liquid slowly making its way past the whole. Someone helps me standing up, asking if I’m okay. I nod to Ford, who just save my life, before looking for Vaughn, scared he may have had the same fate as Sark. Hopefully he’s not as I spot him running after a blonde –Lauren-

“Vaughn!” I call him, he doesn’t stop, but I can hear him shooting “I go after her, go get Cole!” I then look at the other door, and notice for the first time that Yoku is lying on the floor, Cole quickly running past him. “Take care of him!” I say at Ford, nodding toward Yoku, before running after Cole in the white corridor. Burks is at the door, I hope so, as I chase Cole, who is running way faster than me. I see our agent at the door trying to arrest Cole, but only stop him a few seconds, being knocked out by Cole’s elbow in his temple.

As I run outside after Cole the heavy air hits me full on the face, and I loose Cole for a few seconds as my eyes grow accustomed to the night again. I can see Vaughn running after Lauren in another direction, but concentrate on Cole, who is more and more far from me as we both run. Finally after about ten minutes I’ve lost him in the jungle and give up –this jungle is way too dangerous for me to venture to far away from the others. But as I walk back to the building I hear voices “Put you gun down! Now!” I quickly localise them and discretely spot them: Vaughn is aiming a gun at Lauren, who is pointing at Vaughn with another one. Lauren let her gun fall on the ground but Vaughn hesitates to arrest her. He’s calculating what to do next, I can tell by his look. Is he going to shot? Or his is going to put her handcuffs?

I know what I would do, but with Vaughn it’s hard to tell. I know he said he wouldn’t make mistakes, but now that he has his gun aimed at Lauren’s head, now that he has a chance, maybe the only opportunity to get revenge, I’m wondering if his desire isn’t stronger than his promises. Will he kill her and risk losing everything? Or will he give up on revenge and come back safe from here? Revenge or Justice, justice or revenge...the gap is so easy to cross and yet so big...but what will Vaughn choose?

Sci :watsup:

Back