Dragonrealms

I've been a ranger in DR since 1996. Playing a ranger in any game in good, it's just better in DR. Royce always did well for that guild that wanted to be rangers but couldn't quite cut it.

I've actually been contemplating trying Dragon Realms. It'll give me an excuse to go ahead a re-juvenate my play.net account in advance of HJ. Not too mention give me something to do between now and then.

I've been contemplating DR or Gemstone myself as well... But I've never played something quite like it before. Let alone pay monthly for it :D Any wise words of advice from folks that have?

I really enjoyed playing with the folks in Gemstone, but after on and off for a near decade. I'm ready to try something different for a little while (almost everyone always goes back, and I probably will one day :smiley: )

I've never played DR, myself, but I hear good things from lots of folks. Curiosity may overwhelm my desire to save a little money.

I played Gemstone 3 on AOL for a few months. Then as soon as they started to advertise the DR beta on the GS3 page, I gave DR a try and fell in love immediately. I remember it was the skill based system that really captivated me at first. I've canceled my play.net account about 6 times to go play other MMOGs, each time thinking it would be the last, but i always end up returning to DR. I still play very rarely, but i've decided that i will keep my DR account open at least until HJ is released, if for no other reason than to support Simutronics while HJ is in development.

Currently i'm a level 58 moon mage by the name of Shadowin Darmius. I spend most of my time in Riverhaven scripting magic skills and hunting swamp trolls, but i've also been known to spend time around the Crossing's mage guilds to socialize.

Here's to hoping that Hero's Journey will be the game that can finally pass the bar that DR has set for me!

I've been contemplating DR or Gemstone myself as well... But I've never played something quite like it before. Let alone pay monthly for it :D Any wise words of advice from folks that have?

My opinion is that there's 2 aspects of the game you can look at when playing: the technical aspect and the social aspect.

The technical aspect is gaining ranks, levels, money, items, etc. - improving your character. The game can become very overwhelming and tedious if you make these things your primary source of entertainment.

The social aspect is where MUD's in general, and DR specifically, shine. If you decide to play, make friends early, and preferably know someone who is expereinced to help you through the learning curve, as it is quite large.

I personally like the technical aspect of the game a lot. Grinding ranks, gaining levels, collecting items, and spending points to raise my stats is very, very fun to me. But nothing compares to those times when you bump into another player or a group of friends and end up chatting, hunting together, roleplaying, and adventuring.

So, my advice is, play for the social aspect first, then try and get into the technical aspect of the game, because the social aspect is where the fun really is. Make lots of friends and pair up when hunting and exploring, and spend time chatting and roleplaying with others in the hang-out areas while you train your skills.

Oh, i've been talking about DR, although much of what I said could most likely apply to Gemstone also. DR is a newer game, and IMHO, it is more refined of a game. It seems to have fixed alot of shortcomings that Gemstone had, even though Gemstone has changed a LOT since i played over a decade ago.

Oh yeah, and its good to see people from the Vanguard forums over here getting psyched about HJ :D

Hope this helps, and hope to see you in DR soon!

-Shadowin Darmius, Darkling of Elanthia
(ShadowZ from the Vanguard forums)

Originally posted by Riceman@Jun 20 2006, 02:58 PM
I would play DR again if not for the huge pricetag. I really can't justify paying $15 a month to play a text-based game.
That implies you feel a text game is not as interesting to play as a graphics game. If so, then why would you want to play at any price?

Sylvado said:
That implies you feel a text game is not as interesting to play as a graphics game. If so, then why would you want to play at any price?

Text-based games lack what has become an integral element of the modern roleplaying game experience. However, this does not mean that a text-based game is therefore unplayable; simply that its value to the user is diminished, thereby decreasing the amount that the user is willing to pay.

Basic economics.

Riceman said:
Text-based games lack what has become an integral element of the modern roleplaying game experience. However, this does not mean that a text-based game is therefore unplayable; simply that its value to the user is diminished, thereby decreasing the amount that the user is willing to pay.

Basic economics.

What is that element?

Sylvado said:
What is that element?

His reply was to one about graphics which is what I figured they were referring to and although it isn't true for everyone, DR is still going strong it is a truth for others.

I did the 30 day trial a long ways back and thought it was awesome but had a hard time spending $15 for a text game which made my final decision. I think the world was awesome and all kinds of depth, which you still see lacking in modern 3D MMOs but still being text kept me from wanting to pay that much and made it even harder for me to see people paying for the platinum server.

However, this also made me super excited to see Simutronics working on a 3D MMO and hope that some of what they have in their MUDs come through. in HJ.

My concern about graphic games, including HJ, is that they won't be able to provide the depth of a text game because of the medium being used. There are so many emotes that I can use that I don't see possible with an avatar.

On the other side a graphic game gets away from the 'room' environment of a text game. So like anything else there are pluses and minuses.

DragonRealms. The single best gaming experience I have ever had... pc, pen & paper, arcade, board game, or otherwise.

I played for 8 years. I have great memories of Elanthia. I met wonderful people there and had lots of fun all the time.

By the end, many of my friends had left DR, I didn't agree with a number of in game changes, and I couldn't justify paying for multiple monthly subscriptions when I was playing graphical mmorpgs most of the time.

My ultimate, utopian game would be if they could port DR directly to the graphical mmorpg world. Since I know they won't and that much won't directly translate, I think Hero's Journey will be the next best thing. Thus, here I am writing this now... la de da.

If you haven't played, I suggest you give it a go. 30 days free gives you nothing to loose.

I had a 70th circle Paladin when I left. It was hard to let go.

I recently picked up my own 30 day free trial just to walk Elanthia once more before Hero's Journey takes flight. It isn't the same being in a novice body, but Elanthia's citizens are still friendly and helpful and fun to be with after all these years.

Back