Restoring A Family

A/N - I’m so sorry this chapter took a while but stupid school seems to be taking my time! :( *sniffle* Plus I had writers block (you can tell that in the first half of the chapter... i dont like it but i'm too lazy to re-write). Please R&R.
Sydney set off at a gentle jog though the park her heart beat increasing quickly; not from exercise but from the fact she would soon be passing the spot where she had first seen her little girl in five years. The first place she was able to speak to Vaughn again.

As the bench where she had sat that fateful day came into sight Sydney picked up her pace fixing her eyes on the path in front of her. The world around her began to fade away as it always did when she ran until something pulled her out of it.

“Syd!”

She started to slow down but didn’t pull her eyes away from the pavement.

“Sydney!” The voice yelled again.

Sydney stopped running recognizing Vaughn’s voice. She paused looking around before noticing him standing on the edge of the playground.

She bit her lip knowing Anna was probably playing over there and Sydney’s guess was Anna wasn’t looking forward to their next visit.

“Syd, come here!” Vaughn called out waving her over.

Sydney picked Anna out on the playground playing tag with the other children. Anna remained oblivious to her mother’s presence as she raced away from the other screaming kids.

“Hey.” Vaughn said wrapping his arm around Sydney’s waist.

“Hi.” Sydney replied a smile creeping across her lips as she and Vaughn watched Anna playing.

After a few minutes of standing just holding each other Sydney replaced the lid on the box and held it out to Vaughn.

“No, you keep it Sydney. I have you now. That’s all I need.”

Sydney smiled placing the box back on the bed. “Where’s Anna?” She asked as she sat down on the bed.

“With Nadia… I should go pick her up soon…” Vaughn replied taking a seat next to her.

“You came to check up on me?”

“Yeah, you have a problem with that?”

“Mmmmm, we’ll discuss that later.” Sydney said kissing Vaughn.

“Or… Maybe she can spend the night there?”

“Vaughn, my dads right down the hall. And he has many many guns in this house.”

“So? We're married.”

“You think that’ll stop him?”

Vaughn laughed kissing Sydney once again. “I love you. I’ll see you tomorrow?”

“Yeah, I’ll call you in the morning.”

“I love you.” Vaughn repeated before leaving.

“I should go.” Sydney said after a moment of watching Anna play.

“Why?” Vaughn asked hugging her closer to him.

“Because…” Sydney said casting a glace over to her daughter.

“Syd… Even if she’s in control, we can’t let her know that.” Vaughn smiled. “Because if she does we’re in trouble. I mean it will be ice cream 24/7 and never ending Disney movies for me.”

Sydney nodded biting her lower lip.

“I’ve already told her you were coming over tonight for dinner. Is that okay?”

Sydney smiled, “Yeah… Yeah it’s great.”

“Good.”

“I’m going to go finish my run though. I’m meeting Nadia for lunch.”

“Okay, see you tonight.”

“So you’re going over for dinner?” Nadia asked with a smirk.

“Just dinner really… We’re back to where we started except Anna hates me even more.”

“Syd I’ve told you that’s going to be fine. She just needs more time. Now my question is if you need me to go grab Anna after dinner so you and Vaughn can have some alone time.”

“No Nadia, you don’t need to take Anna. But thanks for the offer.”

“Ohhhh, like the adrenaline of knowing the kids down the hall do we?”

“Nothings going to happen Nadia. Its just dinner. I’ll probably leave right after.”

“Of course something will happen! It’s you and Vaughn! And you two have barley had any chances to be alone since you came back. Have you two even had sex since you got back?” Nadia paused as Sydney looked away. “Oh. My. God. You two haven’t even had sex yet?!”

“We do not need to discuss my sex life Nadia. Especially over lunch.”

“Well now there’s no sex life to discuss! But there is a lack-of-sex life to discuss!”

“Nadia shut up.”

“Syd you need to let yourself be happy!”

“I’m trying…”

“No you’re not! You’ve been holding yourself back! Like you’re afraid to be hurt!”

“If I needed a shrink I’d be with Dr. Barnett Nadia.”

“It’s Vaughn Sydney, he’s not going to hurt you!”

“Nadia just forget it! Please.

Nadia sighed knowing pushing this more would cause a fight and that was the last thing her sister needed at the moment. “So you think I could borrow that blue dress tonight?”

Sydney smiled, “Sure.”

Was Nadia right? Had she been holding herself back? Was she afraid? If so, what of?

Sydney rung the doorbell and the door was quickly answered by Vaughn. “You can just come in you know. It is technically your house.”

Sydney smiled, “Sorry.”

“Anna, Come on down! Dinner will be ready in five minutes.” Vaughn called up the stairs.

Sydney took a deep breath suddenly feeling even more apprehensive. Was Anna what she was afraid of? Was she, the super spy, really afraid of a five-year-old girl? Or was it more that she was afraid she would never be true family to this little girl? Was she afraid things wouldn’t come together as everyone kept telling her they would?

“Oh s***, the sauce is going to burn.” Vaughn said suddenly realizing he was holding the sauce spoon in his hand. “You mind going get her Syd?”

“Sure.” Sydney lied with a smile.

Vaughn squeezed her hand and kissed her cheek before running back into the kitchen and Sydney made her way upstairs.

“Anna.” Sydney called knocking softly on the door.

When there was no response Sydney slowly opened the door to find Anna sitting on the floor puzzle pieces covering the cream colored carpet.

“Dinners almost ready.” Sydney said quietly looking at the pieces Anna had already put together.

“Okay.” Anna mumbled not bothering to look up as she tried to find the piece that completed the small section she was working on.

Sydney knelt down scanning the pieces a moment before picking up the piece and handing it to Anna.

“I don’t need help.” Anna said stubbornly.

“Oh okay.” Sydney said sitting down as Anna started looking for more pieces.

Sydney sat silently watching, as Anna remained engulfed by the puzzle.

“Why don’t you try getting the edge pieces first? Then build off of those?”

“No.”

The room was silent for a minute before Anna finally looked up. “Daddy said I have to say I’m sorry for yelling the other night and being mean.”

Sydney smiled, “It’s okay Anna.”

“I guess this means you’re coming back?”

Sydney shook her head, “No. We’re not doing anything right away. We won’t make anymore big decisions without asking you.”

Anna thought this over, “You promise?”

Sydney nodded, “I promise.”

“Well Anna is officially tucked in.” Vaughn said walking downstairs and sitting next to Sydney on the couch.

“That went better than I expected.” Sydney admitted sipping her wine.

“What did you say to her upstairs? Not that I’m complaining, it’s just that it went better than I expected and I would hope I knew my daughter by now.”

“Well I basically told her she’d be involved in the major decisions we make.”

Vaughn nodded sipping Sydney’s wine.

“I just figure if she feels like she’s part of everything she won’t fight us as much on things.”

Vaughn smiled.

“I’m sorry I didn’t ask you-”

“Syd, I think it’s perfect.” He cut her off leaning over and kissing Sydney softly on the lips. Sydney kissed him back and quickly the wine glass was placed on the table and the kiss deepened.

Sydney broke the kiss catching her breath before she spoke. “Anna’s upstairs Vaughn…”

“She won’t-”

“We can’t take that chance. Especially since I’m already on thin ice with her. We already said we need to take everything slow.”

Vaughn sighed.

“Please don’t be mad at me…”

“I’m not Syd. I couldn’t be.”

“Don’t be mad at her either…”

“I’m not… I’m just impatient, that’s all.”

“Me too.” Sydney said as she kissed him quickly before standing up and grabbing her purse.

“I think I should go… I love you.”

“You too”

“You know once this little one comes we can’t have sex whenever we please anymore.” Vaughn said walking into the bedroom where Sydney was working at the desk.

“Oh how tragic.” She said a smirk spreading across her lips.

“So what I was thinking is that we have to get in as much as possible before the baby arrives.”

“You know we do have lives we have to work around.” Sydney said attempting to work on the report in front of her.

“Well they can be put off for the next six months.”

“So you’re telling me you plan to spend the next six months in bed with your ever enlarging pregnant wife?”

“Well that and the kitchen.”

“So only sex and food for seven months?”

“Well I was thinking more of sex in the kitchen… but food sounds good too.”

Sydney laughed saving the report she knew she wouldn’t be finishing that night. “You are such a guy.”

“Admit you like that about me.” Vaughn said as he began kissing her neck.

A/N- Okay I know some people don’t like Anna (especially on fanfiction.net where I had someone tell me to "kill her or somthing") but I’m sorry I’m not going to make things easy for her and Sydney because something this extreme wouldn’t be easy in real life and I try to make things semi-realistic. I mean if I were five and my whole world was turned upside down like this… I’d be a much bigger b**** than Anna. Heck if something like this happened now I’d still be a complete brat. Anyways the worst of Anna is over I believe (I can’t promise anything though).

Thanks for reading! Please review!

this is really good! i think ur right to make anna a brat. i mean, who wouldnt be if ur whole life its just basically u and ur dad and then all of a sudden theres this lady who says shes ur mom movin in. i would be pi**ed.

thanks for the pm

Your AN got me to thinking about just how I would react in this situation if I were Anna. To be honest here I would be terrible to Syd. I would probably be plotting her demise. So Anna is being a lot nicer than I would be I am sure.
I liked this chapter, but like everyone else I want them together now!
Thanks for the PM

A/N - I’m so sorry this chapter took a while but stupid school seems to be taking my time!  *sniffle* Plus I had writers block (you can tell that in the first half of the chapter... i dont like it but i'm too lazy to re-write). Please R&R.

ok missy the first half is good and I told you to leave it soo there :P if other people don't like it they can blame me!!!!

and awwwwww I LOVE IT!!! they're so damn cute!

Seriously...of course ALL of us want this family to be happy and all shiny...

That's the way it is... and sure a child that has only known her father all day... since it was born and told her mother was dead/missing...and then all of sudden she's back...

That mother is a stranger to the child!!!!!!! -_-

I think you do this pretty well!!!! And we ALL know we'll get to the happy family some day... :rolleyes:

At some point Anna will start to trust Sydney (like the way Syd told her they would include her in important subjects...which is (y) ) That's already a start where Anna can start turst..

She will feel that!!!!

And little by little... she'll get around her mother... :angelic:

Give that child a break!!!!!!!! :lol:

I love this story!!!!!!!!!! :hug: and sure can't wait for more!

Don't let yourself down!!!!!!!!!!!!! -_-

(especially on fanfiction.net where I had someone tell me to "kill her or somthing")

Why don't we kill HER or something 😆 Kidding, but I couldn't help myself.

Mind in the gutter-er!

Loved it!

MORE SOON!

Lauren

This is great... I totally agree with you about the way Anna's acting. Her life has changed drastically and not everything can immediately be happy families.

Great update

Thanks for the PM

That was great. I would have probably reacted the same way Anna did she is an adorable kid, she just needs more time to figure it out.

Thanks for the pm.

°°NiCkY°°

Thanks for reviewing everyone and thanks for understanding why Anna is the way she is!

Laur~ that was my exact reaction lol.

littlemissliketofight- tee hee hee i :love: your name! And i added you to my list!

Getting Anna involved in big making big decisions is a really good idea. It gives her the sense of power when she really doesn't.

:eek: How can anyone want to kill off Anna?? I know she's kinda in the way for a Syd/Vaughn relationship, but it's Sydney and Vaughn's kid. How can anyone want to kill her off??? I think she's cute in her own cute annoying way.

Thanks for the pm! Can't wait for the next udpate!!

That was great. :D
I love how Anne is slowly coming around to Sydney. :blush: But I hope that Sydney and Vaughn can be together soon. :thinking:
I can't wait for more.
Thank you for the pm.
:surf:

omg this is sooo good
i just started reading it tonight
and then i had to finsh reading it
i love it
i love syd and vaughn
and weiss and nadia are soooo cute together
poor syd
anna seems so mean
but i spose i would be the same
if not worrse
lol
can you please pm me when you update
thanks
:D

hi, i´m reading your story over at fanfiction.net, but as you post here too i would love to be on your pm-list.
i prefer allalias to read an review to your story because this is much more personal than over at fanfiction.net........and i think you`re like 2 chapters behind over there ^_^
as i reviewed over there i lover anna`s reaction and i love here for giving sydney such a hard time, because as you mentioned this is the more realistic cenario .

so pm please and thank you,
suzy

Back