Turn Around

Turn Around
By: I_<3_ALIAS (aka Lauren)

Spoilers: Nightingale, some general s4 spoilers
Rating: PG (for now)
Disclaimer: I own absolute nothing. Alias belongs to the great JJ Abrams and Bad Robot.
Set: Immediately after Nightingale
Ship: Syd/Vaughn what else could it possibly be?

A/N: An update, as promised! Its a very long chapter, so I'm not gonna blab on like I usually do. I worked really hard on this chapter, so please read and review. I hope you all like it.

Chapter 5

Sydney was confused.

Vaughn wasn’t making any sense. Why was he asking her to turn around? Syd asked him inquisitively, “What? Why, Vaughn?”

“Sydney! Listen to me. Sark set off a bomb, right behind you.” Vaughn breathed heavily. “It’s about to detonate. You have to disarm it.” Vaughn said, trying to suggest to Sydney the danger they were in.

Sydney turned around; she took one look at the bomb. She had gotten caught up in seeing Vaughn, alive. She had thought that they were out of danger. Apparently, she was wrong.

Sydney took a deep breath. She knew what she had to do. She had disarmed dozens of bombs in the past. No Big Deal. But then a thought came to her, “But I don’t have any wire cutters or anything to —“

“Check my left jacket pocket.” Vaughn said as his eyes laid on the jacket.

Syd went into to Vaughn’s pocket and pulled out a little black case. In it was a pair of wire cutters and a screwdriver.

Sydney looked up at Vaughn questioningly.

Vaughn just smiled, “Always be prepared, right?”

Sydney smiled back briefly but quickly turned her attention back towards disarming the bomb. Syd had to move quickly. She only had a minute left to disarm the bomb. But she has always thrived in high pressure situations. Why should this be any different?

Sydney carefully unscrewed the top panel of the bomb, revealing the wires underneath. She looked at the wiring. It appeared to have a relatively simple design. All she had to do was cut the right wire. Sydney looked down at the clock and saw that she only had 20 second disarm the bomb.

Sydney found the power source without any problems. Unfortunately, there were two wires coming out of it, one was red and the other one was yellow.

Sydney asked urgently, “Vaughn, which one? Red or Yellow?”

Ten… Nine

Vaughn said hesitantly, “Syd, I don’t know.”

Eight … Seven

“Vaughn, we have to pick one.” Sydney said as she looked from Vaughn to the wires to Vaughn again.

Six … Five … Four

“Red.” Vaughn finally said. “Cut the red one.” He tried to sound confident.

Three … Two

Sydney nodded and lifted the red wire. They were only going to have one shot at this, but she fully trusted Vaughn. Sydney took a deep breath and one last look at Vaughn, and cut the red wire in half.

One…

----------------------

Dixon and his team drove into the shipping yard. They had tracked Sydney’s signal to here. Dixon hopped out of the van and took a look around. He saw a rental car a couple of yards ahead. He knew that it had to be Sydney’s. Dixon was still struggling with what he was doing. He felt like he was betraying Sydney and Vaughn’s trust. Dixon forced himself to push all of those thoughts out of his head. He had a mission to do.

Dixon called out to his team, and said, “The signal’s coming from over here.”

----------------------

Sydney looked down.

The clock had stopped with one second to spare.

Sydney breathed a sigh of relief.

They had picked the right wire.

Sydney whispered reverently, “Thank God,” and then looked back at Vaughn, “Are you alright?”

“I’m fine. I’ll be even better when you get these chains off of me.”

Syd smiled and nodded, but she realized again that she didn’t have anything to pick the lock with, “But I--”

Vaughn interrupted her again, “Look in that black case again.”

Sure enough, there was a lock picking tools in the case.

Syd just smiled and concentrated on getting Vaughn unchained. They sat in silence for a couple of minutes while Sydney worked on the lock. A few moments later, she finally freed Vaughn’s hands and legs from the shackles.

“Thanks.” Vaughn said simply.

Sydney couldn’t take it anymore. She was going to wait until Vaughn came to her and told her what had happened. But she couldn’t wait that much longer. “So are you going to tell me what happened or am I going to have to torture you to get it out of you?” Sydney half jokingly asked.

Vaughn looked back at her and smiled, “I don’t know. The second option doesn’t sound all that bad.”

Sydney wasn’t amused. “Come on, Vaughn. Seriously, what happened?” Syd gently prodded.

“I’m an idiot, that’s all.” Vaughn said bitterly.

“You are not an idiot Vaughn. You’re one of the smartest people I know,” Syd said consolingly. She tried to reach out and touch Vaughn’s hand, but he quickly shook it off.

“Really? Would an intelligent person act like I have for the past couple of weeks? I mean I went on a wild goose chase after my father, based on what? A couple of old journals? I risked my career, my life, your life – hell the lives of countless innocent people. And for what? I betray my country and had a meeting with one of the people on this earth who I truly hate. And Sark of all people ends up telling me what I have known all along – that my father is dead,” Vaughn said angrily.

Sydney looked over at Vaughn sympathetically, “Vaughn, its not --”

Vaughn ignored her and continued ranting, “And do you want to know what the icing on the cake is? Sark told me he’s started his own organization – and that the coil was the only missing component he needed to execute his plan. And now he has it, thanks to me. How’s that for f*cking irony?”

Sydney reached out for his hand again. This time he let her keep it there. Then Syd looked Vaughn straight in the eye, “Well, we’ll just have to get it back then, won’t we?”

Vaughn was so surprised at her confidence that he was barely able to spit out, “What? How? Do you mean go back to APO?”

Sydney said urgently, “Vaughn, no. That’s the worst thing that could do right now. I’ve been in situations like this before. If we go back empty handed, it’ll be even worse.”

“Well, what do you think we should do then?” Vaughn asked.

Sydney said unequivocally, “We have to go after Sark and get that coil back.”

-----------------

Dixon followed the signal all the way to warehouse 47. When he got there he saw that the door had already been kicked in. Dixon silently motioned for his team to follow.

“Base Ops, we’re in position.” Dixon said into his comm.

Dixon heard a crackling and then Sloane respond, “Move in, when ever you are ready.”

Dixon moved in first, followed closely behind by his team. They surveyed the warehouse. Dixon saw two figures standing in the middle of the warehouse. There was no doubt in his mind that it was Sydney and Vaughn. Apparently, they were deep in conversation.

Dixon was so caught up in what Sydney and Vaughn were doing that he didn’t see the piece of plywood on the ground. When he accidentally stepped on it, it made a very loud creak. Loud enough for Sydney to hear it.

Sydney looked up from what she was doing and saw Dixon standing there. Sydney called out in disbelief, “Dixon? What the hell are you doing here?”

“I’m sorry, Syd. I’ve been tasked to bring you and Vaughn back to back to LA,” Dixon said apologetically.

Sydney replied, “I’m sorry, too, Dixon.”

Sydney made eye contact with Vaughn. They were going to have to make a run for it.

But when Sydney looked around for possible escape routes, she saw that they were surrounded. There was no way that the two of them would be able to fight their way out of it. At this point, trying to escape would only make things worse. Syd looked over at Vaughn, and she could tell that he was thinking the same thing she was. We’re screwed

----------------
Dixon radioed Sloane with a status report has soon they reached the small airport just outside of London.

“Sir, I have Sydney and Vaughn. We’re at the London airfield now. We should be back in LA at approximately 0600.”

“Good. As soon as you arrive, I want you to bring them both to the APO offices.” Sloane answered back.

“OK. I will see you back in LA.” Dixon agreed without any arguments.

Dixon hated having to follow Sloane’s orders again. Worse yet, he hated what he was doing to Sydney and Vaughn. Over the past couple of years, they had both been tested so much. Dixon looked over at Sydney and Vaughn. After everything, Dixon still wasn’t sure he was doing the right thing.

----------------

As soon as the plane carrying Sydney and Vaughn landed in the small, private airport in LA, they were quickly taken back to APO. Vaughn followed Sydney through the familiar APO door and down the tunnel. Right before they reached the end, though, Vaughn pulled Sydney to the side and gave her a deep and tender kiss.

When they finally broke apart, Sydney gasped, “What was that for?”

Vaughn smiled and said, “Well, I never really got a chance to thank you for saving my life.”

Sydney flashed Vaughn a full smile, dimples and all. “Anytime, just as long as I always get a thank you like that.”

“Attente juste jusqu'à ce que nous devenions à la maison,” Vaughn said in his native tongue, with a devilish look on his face.

Sydney smiled again, but didn’t respond to that. “Ready to go in?”

Vaughn nodded and with that they walked into the brightly lit, bustling office. But as soon as Sydney and Vaughn walked in the whole room got quiet. Nobody said a word until Sloane called out, “Sydney, Vaughn. I’d like to see you both in my office.”

Sydney half-expected the whole room to go Oooooooooooohh... somebody’s in trouble, just like they did in elementary school, when you got called down to the principal’s office. But nobody did. Nobody said anything. After what felt like an eternity, Sydney and Vaughn finally reached Sloane’s office. Sydney took a deep breath and went into his office. It was all Sydney could do to keep herself from laughing when she heard Vaughn do the same thing.

Without a word, Sloane closed the door behind them.

Sloane went over to his pitcher of water and poured himself a glass. “First off I would like to say how happy I am to see that both of you are alright. We were all worried about you two.” Sloane briefly paused to look at his agents, “However, I cannot condone your reckless actions. What the two of you did is unacceptable. As a direct result of your actions and behavior, a crucial component of a weapon of mass destruction is now in Sark’s possession. I expected better out of the two if you. Especially you, Sydney.”

Vaughn wanted to protect Sydney. He was the whole reason she was in this mess, “Sir, I am the reason Sydney is caught in the middle all of this. So if you want to blame someone…”

Sloane interrupted him. “I’ve known Sydney for many years. She has always been able to think and act on her own.”

Sydney looked Vaughn in the eye, “Vaughn, I appreciate what you are trying to do, but don’t. I am in this situation because I chose to be.” Sydney turned her attention toward Sloane, “What we did may have been reckless and irresponsible. I’ll agree with you there. However, you aren’t looking at all of the variables. Vaughn and I did what we did because we had been led to believe that his father was alive. He was willing to risk everything to find him. I remember what that feels like. I’m sure you do too, Director Sloane . Last year, you were willing to put everything on the line to find your daughter — to find Nadia. How was that any different?”

“I didn’t allow a dangerous fugitive and known enemy of the United States to get his hands on a deadly weapon.” Sloane tensely said.

“That’s because you were the dangerous fugitive,” Sydney retorted.

Sloane’s face hardened. Sydney gulped. Had she gone too far?

Sloane icily said, “I’m going to forget that you ever said that. Until further notice, the two of you are on desk duty. You are both dismissed.”

Sydney and Vaughn walked out of Sloane’s office, unsure of their next move.

--------------------------

Sark walked into a well appointed office, carrying the briefcase he had taken from Vaughn.

“Glad to see you’re back, Sark. I trust the mission was a success? ” A deep, mysterious voice asked.

“Absolutely. The plan went perfectly. I… I mean we… now have the coil in our possession. And my men have reported that Sydney Bristow arrived just in the nick of time to save her beloved Agent Vaughn. Just like you said she would.”

“Well, in order to win the game, you have to know your opponent inside and out.” There was a long pause and then the voice said, “In any case, it is time begin phase two of our plan.”

Authors' Note: Attente juste jusqu'à ce que nous devenions à la maison= Just wait until we get home. I think anyway, I used one of those translator things. Not the most reliable things. Just in case you were wondering. Please R/R!!!

great update!! i was gonna ask was that french sentence meant but u answered it lol stupid sloane he dont understand anything out of love even if hes done it(even tho it most likely wasnt out of love) and is the voice Irina?? or Danny?

that wascool. Glad to see that you are not having Vaughan reprimanded and put in jail or anything for the whole rogue activity thing. that is excellent news.

Thank you for the pm and for the update

awesome chap! i went to the translator and here's what it said when i translated the sentence: Make an attempt just until we became at the house. yeah. i wasn't quite sure what that was supposed to mean, so thanks for clearing it up. great chap, and i can't wait for more! thanks for the pm. :poke:

Hahaha awesome chapter, i actually copied the french text and translated it too, and got the same result, so i think your pretty right! i love that you used it though!! loved that chapter, i wish vaughn would pull syd aside and kiss her more often!! thanks for the pm!!

Great chapter.
Sloane is soo horrible.
I loved when Vaughn kissed Sydney and talked to her in french. :love:
I wonder who Sarkis working with/for.
At least Sydneyand Vaughn are safe and not in too much trouble.
Thanx for thepm
Update soon.

great chapter

good that Syd and Vaughn are safe now and don't have this much trouble
Who's Sark working with? Sloane?

thanks for the pm

Loved that, but do't you hate online translators. I used one for that phrase before I saw you give the translation and it said someting along the lines of 'Just expectation until we became to the house' I got the jist of it though.

Back